The UK is a massively underrated country that has it all; history, wilderness, culture and festivals to name only a few. There are countless of cities that a traveller should visit in the UK, but it shouldn’t be a huge surprise that England’s capital, London is the most visited city by tourists.
People have many reasons for visiting our capital, but on top of many a list is the selection of world-class musicals that are presented at the theatres in and around the West End. Providing an unrivalled theatre experience, the West End is home to a plethora of productions, from musicals to dramas.
If you’re planning on catching one over the coming months, why not make a night of it and stay in the city after curtain call; perhaps grab a bite to eat at a nearby restaurant or head for one of the popular bars or clubs for some late night dancing? Whatever you choose to do, you can stay in the city affordably. Just pop online to book good value hotels in Holborn or Farringdon rather than paying over the odds at the more popular central locations.
The issue that many visitors have when heading to London to catch a show, is which one do you pick? With so many in the repertoire, it can be a difficult choice. Here’s the lowdown on some of the popular ones for a little inspiration.
- If you’re heading to the city with children, don’t feel like you should avoid the theatre. There are many productions that are aimed at kids too, including the superb Matilda the Musical that’s based on the classic Roald Dahl story. Created by Dennis Kelly and the multi-talented Tim Minchin – the children (and you) will love this story of imagination and hope.
- Looking for something a little more vibrant? The hit show, The Lion King provides stunning costumes and outstanding sets to recreate this classic Disney tale.
- We Will Rock You is the ultimate choice for fans of Queen, created by Ben Elton and the remaining members of this prolific rock group and set in a world where rock music is banned.
- There’s no more fitting a tribute to the legendary Michael Jackson than the spectacular Thriller Live that pays homage to both Jackson and the Jackson 5. Celebrating his career from the beginning to the untimely end, you can sing along to some of your favourite songs by the King of Pop.
- Billy Elliot is the story of a young boy who chooses ballet against all odds. You can see it at the Victoria Palace Theatre.
- One of the most famous stage musicals, The Phantom of the Opera, continues to be a massive hit with theatre-goers. Prepare yourself for an emotional ride as you watch this, the original production.
- While it may have been recently produced for the big screen, there’s nothing quite like the original Les Miserables, which continues to take the world by storm.
- Fancy something a little different? Stomp has been revamped, with new songs and new routines, but continues to be huge fun for its audience.
- With comedic injection, The Book of Mormon is the brainchild of Matt Stone and Trey Parker, who have made household names for themselves through South Park.
- Learn the truth about what really happened in Oz to make the Wicked Witch, Elpheba, into the person she became. Wicked continues to be a huge success at its home in the Apollo Victoria.
Take your pick from the vast range of musicals on offer in the West End and prepare yourself for a night you’ll never forget. Head online to book good value hotels in Holborn and pick up your tickets for your show of choice.