Gatineau Park, Kayaking, Meandering thoughts

Tranquility on Meech Lake

Tranquility - tran·quil·li·ty or tran·quil·i·ty (tr ng-kw l -t , tr n-). n. The quality or state of being tranquil; serenity.

sunset kayak at Meech Lake

That is the best way to describe my evening paddle on Meech Lake, found in the Chelsea sector of Gatineau Park, 20 minutes from Ottawa.  With life at an all time hectic pace, I head out with black skies threatening above and the absolute need for tranquility.  What transpired was a beautiful night on the water.  In a word – peaceful.  I glided across the lake effortlessly as I watched families play in the water and canoeists manoeuvre along the shore.

Kayaking with lily pads in Meech Lake, Quebec

I paddled around the island as I do every time I paddle here.  Given this was my first kayak on Meech Lake this year, I was a little confused when it appeared the marsh has taken over, encroaching on my passage around the back side.  I am still not clear as to whether or not I got myself mixed up, lost in my thoughts and not paying attention, or if the beaver dam blocking the route was the explanation.  Regardless, it was such a beautiful scene, I just sat in my boat, admiring the view.  It was tranquil – splashing of children at a nearby beach was replaced by the call of the loon.  The eerie call of a pair of loons echoed across the lake, breaking the silence that had fallen over me.  Such a Canadian experience – I am so lucky to have this in my own back yard.  Shorty thereafter, a symphony was played out by what I would imagine were the bull frogs serenading their partners.  I was mesmerized in the moment and regretted not bringing my dSLR which normally comes with me everywhere.  All I can share with you today are the photos taken from my cell phone – this series captures the tranquility on Meech Lake.

Greens of Meech Lake

Related Links

15 thoughts on “Tranquility on Meech Lake

1. That looks and sounds like a peaceful day!

Posted by Annette | July 5, 2013, 9:53 am
  2. Beautiful pictures – it looks very tranquil!

Posted by megtraveling | July 5, 2013, 11:57 am
  3. So gorgeous Anita.
    I took my Stand Up Paddleboard out in the lakes of Minnesota this weekend, sat down smack dab in the center of the lake, and took in the view. Couldn’t have felt more calm and tranquil. Something about being out in the water, it’s just perfect. :)
    - Laur (@outdoor_minded)

Posted by Lauren Rains | July 5, 2013, 3:33 pm
    • That sounds lovely Lauren. Have only had a couple of goes at SUP and am a fan. I could see myself doing the same thing – sitting on the board, feet dangling in the water, watching the sun set!

Posted by Anita Mac | July 6, 2013, 9:47 am
  4. Anita, this looks so wonderful. I can almost feel the tranquility coming off the computer screen…….really do need to make the trip to Canada…….

Posted by frugalfirstclasstravel | July 6, 2013, 3:39 am
  5. The first image definitely captures “tranquility” :)

Posted by Bashar A. | July 8, 2013, 11:40 pm
  6. You constantly reinforce the idea that Canada in the summer is a beautiful place with wonderful outdoors activities.

Posted by Trips By Lance | July 9, 2013, 12:33 pm