Food, USA

Nightlife in Rochester: Take flight at Flight Wine Bar

Nightlife in Rochester: wine and cheese at Flight Wine Bar

Hidden away in Corn Hill, a couple of blocks from Rochester CBD is Flight, a fabulous little wine bar where trios of wine are served in a cozy and sophisticated setting, perfect for a group of friends or a cozy date night for two.

Sommelier selected fights of wine at Flight Wine Bar

I wasn’t sure what to expect as I walked in alone.  There were a couple couples quietly chatting over their wine selections.  I sat down at the bar feeling rather alone.  Quickly busying myself with the menu, I poured over the selections.  In no time, I felt the relaxed atmosphere of the bar take hold, welcoming into the experience I was about to enjoy.

Wine flights at Flight Wine Bar, Rochester NY

The concept of Flight is quite simple – select your own bottle or one of the sommelier selected trios to start, perfectly matched to please your palate.  Continuing with the flight theme, select a flight of olive oils or cheeses to complement your night.  When I arrived at Flight, my intention was to have a glass of wine before heading out for dinner.  I enjoyed sitting at the bar, talking to the sommelier so much that this became my evening’s main event!  I finished the night with a decadent flight of chocolates and a glass of port.  The night was completely unexpected, but thoroughly enjoyed.

Flight of chocolates at Flight Wine Bar, Rochester

The owners love of wine and extensive travels throughout Europe and the United States is the inspiration behind Flight.  The warm and elegant atmosphere adds to the wine tasting experience in the heart of Rochester.  Sit inside the cozy bar or enjoy the evening on the patio…I am sure you will agree…the unassuming nature of this elegant night venue will be well worth your evening.

Wine features at Flight Wine Bar, Rochester, NY

Like any restaurant, Flight has their daily specials, but it was their flight menu that caught my eye and entertained my mind.  I could choose between the Marilyn Monroe, Speechless or Delicate Few, but in the end, it was the Instant Zen that caught my attention – a summery selection from Italy, Austria and France.  It was a perfect tour of European wine!

Artisan Cheeses at Flight Wine Bar, Rochester

To compliment the wine flights, I would encourage you to also indulge in their selection of artisan cheeses.  Their selection is magnificent, and you guessed it, they too are from around the world.  After a consultation with the sommelier, I settled on 2 cheese – the Belletoile from France (a decadent triple brie that melted in my mouth), the Bucherondi (sharp and tangy goat’s cheese, also from France) with a serving of prosciutto.  The selection paired nicely with my wine and I knew I was in for a treat!

Port at Flight Wine Bar, Rochester

Travel+Leisure have designated Flight Wine Bar as one of America’s best wine bars.  They are found in the trendy Corn Hill district, only a few minutes walk from downtown at 262 Exchange Blvd.

24 thoughts on “Nightlife in Rochester: Take flight at Flight Wine Bar

1. What a great place, I’m a huge wine fan and love the idea of curated wine flights and cheese to go with it!

Posted by Lucy Dodsworth | May 8, 2013, 10:14 am
    • I loved the concept – the combination of whites in the Zen flight were perfect for a warm summer’s night. Being a big red fan, I would love to cozy up there in the winter time with some friends…it really had that kind of atmosphere.

Posted by Anita Mac | May 9, 2013, 9:59 am
  2. Oohhh I love the presentation with the cheese and prosciutto, the atmosphere is perfect for a comfy night out :)

Posted by andy1076 | May 8, 2013, 10:44 am
    • The prosciutto was awesome, but the brie really blew my mind. So perfect and creamy, went especially well with the French wine. Even though I was alone, I had a brilliant time…it was a great find.

Posted by Anita Mac | May 9, 2013, 10:01 am
      • mm! very rare do I hear Brie as creamy, It’s my absolute favorite. Now I definitely have to try! :)

Posted by andy1076 | May 9, 2013, 12:23 pm
  3. mmmmh that cheese and prosciutto + the chocolate truffles…. and a glass of wine too? …. extremely inviting

Posted by Our Adventure in Croatia | May 8, 2013, 3:19 pm
  4. I might pick up some wine & cheese tonight on the way back home :)

Posted by Bashar A. | May 9, 2013, 12:58 pm
  5. I love your blog! You have such interesting posts and a great writing style. I’m looking forward to seeing where else you’ll be going. I wanted to e-give you the Very Inspring Blogger Award to let you know that yours definitely falls under that category. You can check out my post here -> http://tinyurl.com/cjuq9fg

Posted by SoundsLikeUs | May 10, 2013, 2:30 am
  6. Wow, sounds like my kind of place to enjoy wine and relax. I really like the idea of writing down on the plate the name of the cheeses. So often, I forget by the end of the night which cheese was which (short attention span? memory problems? or just so chill by the end of the evening?!).

Posted by Raul (@ilivetotravel) | May 11, 2013, 11:48 am
  7. This seems like a place I would love, Anita. Love the idea of the trios – and everything wine. But intrigued about the cheese tasting and the rest. Very nice indeed!

Posted by Ana Silva O'Reilly (@mrsoaroundworld) | May 12, 2013, 12:17 pm
  8. Looks like you stumbled upon a real gem of a wine bar here – the cheese board looks deeeee-lish too!

Posted by TravelEdits (@travel_edits) | May 12, 2013, 5:22 pm
  9. This sounds like my kind of place. Plus, I love the name, it’s great. These posts are really making me want to head to Rochester. Can’t believe I haven’t been there already!

Posted by The World Wanderer (@TheWrldWanderer) | May 12, 2013, 7:34 pm
  10. Ooh I can totally use a cheese flight right about now.. my kind of place for sure.

Posted by Kieu ~ GQ trippin | May 13, 2013, 10:00 pm
  11. i love wine and i looooove wine flights :) looks so fabulous but then you always find the best things to do when you are traveling!!

Posted by lola | May 19, 2013, 10:30 am
  12. Thank you for the fantastic blog! It was a pleasure to have you visit and I hope you will come see again if you are in the neighborhood :)

Posted by Elle Andrews | July 25, 2013, 2:30 pm

1. Pingback: Rochester NY Bucket List – there is something for everyone! | Travel Destination Bucket List - June 7, 2013

2. Pingback: A weekend in Rochester, NY | Travel Destination Bucket List - June 7, 2013

3. Pingback: Missing the boat when Spiderman came to town! | Travel Destination Bucket List - August 2, 2013