Bucket List, travel, USA

Vegas Bucket List: Beyond the Casinos

There is more to do in Vegas than gambling!

Vegas, NevadaTruth be told, gambling holds very little interest for me!  In spite of this, Las Vega and the surrounding area still intrigues me.  There is so much more than slot machines and black jack tables.  So, after the requisite photo of me pulling the arm of the old fashioned slot machine (those new electronic versions just won’t do!), here is what I would be doing in Vegas!

Vegas Bucket List: Beyond the casino

• Take in a show.  I have heard the shows in Vegas are larger than life.  While I am sure a few musical performances would be great, the top of my list – Cirque du Soleil’s show “O”.  What about you?  What Vegas shows would you be taking in?
Cirque de Soleil "O" Photo credit from Cirque de Soleil

Cirque de Soleil “O” Photo credit from Cirque de Soleil

If  you are as intrigued by the hype of O as I was…check out their promo video!  I think the show alone would be worth the trip!  http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/o/media/official-video.aspx?splash=http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/o/media/official-video.aspx

• Dinner in the sky – fine dining and a hit of adrenaline – what a view!  But, why limit yourself only to dinner when there can be so much more on a platform suspended 50m in the air!   Breakfast in the sky, lunch in the sky, cocktails in the sky, meeting in the sky, internet café in the sky… there is no limit to your imagination.
  • Vegas Boneyard (aka The Neon Museum) – when the time has come, and the sign is done….this outdoor museum will surely have some stories to tell!
Vegas Boneyards outdoor museum.  Photo Credit http://www.neonmuseum.org/

Vegas Boneyards outdoor museum. Photo Credit http://www.neonmuseum.org/

• Swim with the sharks at the Mandalay Bay Shark Reef Aquarium
  • National Geographic 50 Greatest Photographs exhibit at The Venetian – what can I say…I am a photo fan and will have to just for myself if they are the greatest!
  • Titanic Artifact Exhibit at the Luxor – who didn’t swoon and fall in love with the movie the Titanic….I know  that was Hollywood, but to see the artifact exhibit would be pretty amazing.
  • Red Rock Canyon and a plethora of outdoor adventures!

The Vegas bucket list has been sponsored by Casino Top 10.

Related link:

16 thoughts on “Vegas Bucket List: Beyond the Casinos

1. Thanks for the suggestions, don’t forget the Grand Canyon. I remember when I lived in Saudi Arabia one of the locals told me how he loved going to Vegas. I asked why since he wasn’t allowed to gamble or drink alcohol due to the Islamic religion, his response was “The hotels!”. He just loved the hotels and they are pretty luxurious to be fair to him.

Posted by The Guy | April 4, 2013, 2:45 pm
    • You are so right…when I think of things to do other than the casinos, the Grand Canyon is high on the list. I wouldn’t mind checking out some of the hotels….too bad they didn’t do a tour of the high rollers rooms! Would love to see the views from the top.

Posted by Anita Mac | April 4, 2013, 3:35 pm
  2. Great suggestions. I never think of these things when I think about Vegas.

Posted by ashleypaige4 | April 4, 2013, 3:03 pm
    • I hear you. The lights and sounds of the casino are the first things that come to my mind when someone says Vegas…but I am more interested on the other things you can do in town! I imagine people watching on the strip would be pretty good…day or night, it would be a sight.

Posted by Anita Mac | April 4, 2013, 3:36 pm
  3. Just got back from a spring break trip to Las Vegas with my 9 year old daughter. We had a great time and I had no desire to gamble at all. There are plenty of non-gambling attractions/activities in Vegas that we visited and I just wanted to see Vegas for myself to see what it was all about. Loved the shows – we saw The Beatles Love, Celine Dion and a Broadway style show at New York, New York. The Shark Reef is awesome and loved the Bellagio fountains and the Conservatory. National Geographic 50 Greatest Photographs exhibit at The Venetian and Titanic Artifact Exhibit at the Luxor. And we took a 2 day road trip to the Grand Canyon which was incredible! Emma loved the M&Ms store!

Posted by Lisa from Gone With The Family | April 4, 2013, 6:47 pm
    • Sounds like you and the family had a brilliant time! I am really going to have to go one of these days! It was only when I learned about all the really cool non casino stuff that I thought – I really do want to go there after all! You’ve really confirmed that for me!

Posted by Anita Mac | April 4, 2013, 7:07 pm
  4. Vegas is on my Travel Bucket List and i’m patiently awaiting the chance to see one of their large scale shows/performances. I’m not interested in gambling either, but I’ll be still willing to spend at $20 just for the experience!

Posted by Jodi | April 5, 2013, 9:02 am
    • I’m with you Jodi….$20 is more than enough to get the Vegas experience…although for me, it really has to be on one of those old fashioned style machines with the arm/lever that you pull. I hope they still have those!

Posted by Anita Mac | April 6, 2013, 7:08 pm
  5. I would also suggest Hoover Dam and nearby Lake Mead as interesting places for outdoors stuff.

Posted by aaronwest | April 5, 2013, 6:03 pm
  6. I love the bone yards photo!

Posted by Tim & Nat ✈ (@acooknotmad) | April 6, 2013, 5:38 pm
  7. Anita, Red Rock Canyon is truly stunning. I have been there several time for climbing and hiking, I hope you make it there!
    Enjoy.

Posted by drawandshoot | April 9, 2013, 10:31 pm
    • It is so funny – but I never really think of all the natural beauty around Vegas as part of Vegas, but I know that I am dying to go there…if only to visit Red Rock and the Grand Canyon, and see the amazing landscapes of the area. Hiking and climbing are high on my list of preferred activities – I know I will get there some day!

Posted by Anita Mac | April 24, 2013, 10:31 am
  8. The Pinball Hall of Fame is the most fun you can have in Vegas for 25 cents! http://www.pinballmuseum.org

Posted by Fishing4Deals | April 25, 2013, 12:06 pm