Hotel Review, USA, Weekend Getaways

Stepping into Old World Charm at the Nottoway Plantation

Old World Charm and Southern Hospitality at the Nottoway Plantation, Louisiana

Getting to Nottoway Plantation from New Orleans meant I had to do the one thing I generally avoid when traveling – I had to rent a car!  I left my planning to the last minute which meant I actually had to take a taxi back to the airport to pick up the car before heading towards Baton Rouge and plantation country, but that in itself, is another story!

Plantation tours in Louisiana

I knew I had to stay the night after first hearing about Nottoway from Mrs O Around The World’s trip to New Orleans.  Just over an hour and a half from New Orleans, the drive out to the plantation was straight forward.  I arrived just in time to check in and take some photos before night fall.  The property is gorgeous.  Stately century old oak trees dot the property, and the vibrant gardens popped with colour.  I can see why so many  people hold their weddings here – the largest antebellum mansion in the south and the options for a picture perfect wedding ceremony on the front lawn – I see Reese Witherspoon’s southern belle wedding from the movie Sweet Home Alabama dancing in my head!

Wedding on the lawn at the Nottoway Plantation.  Photo credit: Nottoway Plantation

Wedding on the lawn at the Nottoway Plantation. Photo credit: Nottoway Plantation

The grandeur of the mansion made me hold my breath – I couldn’t wait for the tour I had scheduled for the morning.  I already regretted only booking one night.  Everything was so laid back and simple – I felt like I was stepping back in time as I head to my room (the Loft) in the Overseer’s Cottage.  As I crossed onto the balcony, rocking chairs lined up and waiting, I could picture myself sitting there with a warm summer breeze, iced tea in hand, looking out over the Mississippi River.  In fact, as I walked around the property, a number of the guests were doing just that.

spend the night at a Louisiana plantation

Dinner in the mansion was a treat.  Trying to stick to a traditional Louisiana style cuisine was tough when my waitress suggested the Tempura Battered Blue Crab Rolls.  She wasn’t wrong – the sushi styled dish was a treat, so much lighter than all the food I had been eating in New Orleans so far.  I followed the crab rolls up with Blackened Shrimp and Grits, leaving no room for dessert.  That pecan pie was going to have to wait for another day.  The dishes were sumptuous.  I felt like I might not eat again for a week!  Needless to say, come morning and one look at the breakfast buffet, I found the room for a little more food!  Loved the giant fruit salad that they had on offer – something I had been craving after a few days in New Orleans.

Louisiana cuisine

The Nottoway Story

There are 150 years of history in this mansion, having survived the tests of war, economic adversity and change of ownership.  An astute business man and successful sugar magnate with an eye for grandeur, Nottaway was completed in 1859 for John Randolph, his wife Emily and their 11 children.  The prestigious 53,000 square foot mansion was a tribute to John Randolph’s success and position in society.  No expense was spared in the creation of his dream home, he employed renowned architect Henry Howard to  create his masterpiece.  More details of the history of Nottoway and the Randolph family are available on line, however taking the tour really brings all the rooms and stories from a different era to life.  The attention  to detail in recreating the life of the Randolph family is amazing, largely due to the detailed journal entires of Emily Randolph.

Photos of historical Nottoway Plantation

Related Links:

35 thoughts on “Stepping into Old World Charm at the Nottoway Plantation

1. Loving your post – What a Beautiful Place – great captures – thanks for sharing:) Happy Weekend!

Posted by cravesadventure | March 22, 2013, 1:29 pm
  2. Mouthwatering shots, all of them! A very special place by the look and sound of it. Lucky thing :D

Posted by Animalcouriers | March 22, 2013, 1:51 pm
  3. They really have maintained tradition and history so incredibly well, beautiful photos Anita :)

Posted by andy1076 | March 22, 2013, 2:15 pm
  4. Need to add that to the place to go!

Posted by travelwithlaughter | March 22, 2013, 3:28 pm
  5. Those two girls are really cute… Are they twins?
    And I totally love the mansion where you stayed! Someday I’ll build my own house with the nottoway plantation as the model… ;)

Posted by Jemma | March 23, 2013, 1:01 am
    • They are absolutely adorable – I agree! Not sure if they are twins…that particular photo belong to Nottoway Plantation. There had been a wedding the day before I was at the resort, but I didn’t get to see it. Looking through their wedding photos – I could certainly see myself dragging everyone down there – it was gorgeous!

Posted by Anita Mac | March 23, 2013, 9:15 am
  6. This place looks lovely!

Posted by Lorenzo | March 23, 2013, 9:47 am
  7. Such an amazing area. A beautiful place with a very sad history.

Posted by Jonathan Look, Jr. | March 24, 2013, 11:07 am
    • It is amazing – I hope to go back and take my father…when I showed him the photos and told him the stories of the Randolph family, he was so enthralled. There is much hardship locked in the history, but also a coming of age of the Southern US. I found it so interesting.

Posted by Anita Mac | April 20, 2013, 5:04 pm
  8. What a stunning setting, Anita. I’ve only explored a bit of the the American southern states, but would love to return someday.

Posted by Tricia A. Mitchell | March 24, 2013, 2:13 pm
  9. It’s beautiful! If we were any closer I’d make Chris marry me there! haha. I think a trip to Nottoway is in our future. :)

Posted by Chris & Tawny (@CaptainandClark) | April 20, 2013, 7:40 pm
  10. Looks like the rental car was worth it seeing the place is so amazing. The food sounds delicious too.

Posted by Traveling Ted (@travelingted) | April 22, 2013, 12:05 pm
  11. That plantation.. seriously, it’s like straight out of a movie. So cute!

Posted by Kieu ~ GQ trippin | April 22, 2013, 2:14 pm
  12. How beautiful! Sounds like this is the perfect place to stay.

Posted by The World Wanderer (@TheWrldWanderer) | April 22, 2013, 6:20 pm
  13. i visited many a plantation in my day but never stayed as a guest. i think i’d like that A LOT!

Posted by lola | April 22, 2013, 8:24 pm
  14. I’m glad you enjoyed it, too. I took Mrs. O there and also visited a few years earlier. One thing to note, they have the best shrimp and grits I’ve ever eaten. Your photos are beautiful, by the way.

Posted by Leah Travels (@L_e_a_h) | April 22, 2013, 10:01 pm
  15. no one does front porches like the deep south. gorgeous!

Posted by the lazy travelers | April 23, 2013, 9:04 am
  16. Really It sounds like a fantastic experience…. and it looks you enjoyed alot and dishes are looking amazing….

Posted by Ian Mcindoe | July 16, 2013, 7:22 am

1. Pingback: New Orleans Bucket List – things to do in the Big Easy! | Travel Destination Bucket List - March 22, 2013

2. Pingback: Nottoway Plantation in bloom | Shutter bug - March 22, 2013

3. Pingback: A New Orleans Comedy Of Errors | Travel Destination Bucket List - July 12, 2013