Croatia, Monday Morning Photos

Monday Morning Series: Dubrovnik in the summer

Summer is just around the corner – where will you be going?  Croatia has long been one of Europe’s summer destinations.  Now growing in popularity in North America – will you be heading to the jewel of the Adriatic?

walking the fortress wall in Dubrovnik

This photo was taken as I walked the fortress wall around the historic medieval city of Dubrovnik.  The views from the wall – stunning!

Happy Monday!

Related Links:

10 thoughts on “Monday Morning Series: Dubrovnik in the summer

1. Anita,
    We have Croatia on our upcoming destinations list. I have a granmother who was from there. I’ve been to Zagreb as a child, but not to Dubrovnik. What do you most like about the country and the people? Also, do you drive much while visiting your destinations or take public transportation and/ or cycle?
    Michael

Posted by Michael Doran | February 25, 2013, 10:29 am
    • Hi Michael,
      Great questions. Hard to saw what it was that I liked most about the country. I loved the laid back atmosphere. I arrived in need of a rest and was instantly relaxed as I explored Zadar. I moved around the country by bus and ferry – the only time I wished I had a car was for my trip to Plitvice Lakes National Park. I found everyone so very friendly and helpful. The food was amazing – very fresh and light. When I got to Dubrovnik, it was in the height of tourist season and it was a sea of people! While very crowded, once again – the atmosphere was relaxed and easy going. Everyone was on vacation and happy. I would recommend making reservations in advance if at all possible as the news had stories of 100% occupancy. I stayed at a hostel and had no trouble with the last minute reservation, but if you were looking for a hotel – August is PEAK season!

I loved hopping around by ferry. I also did a few day tours on the water which took me to some amazing places – most of those were out of Split. The Blue Grotto (out of Vis), while heavily touristy, I still thought was worth the day on the boat!

I have not cycled Croatia, although I did see some cycle tourists, fully loaded with gear, in Split. I imagine it was hot work to bike in August, but with such amazing country side, I would be game to give it a try any other time of year.

Enjoy your time in Croatia – it is a magical place. I would love to go back and explore more. I would imagine, to go off the beaten track, a car would be useful. I stuck to mostly the main destinations so buses were very easy to come by.

Posted by Anita Mac | February 25, 2013, 11:05 am
  2. Sooooooo many places you’ve been to that I’d like to visit too! :)

Posted by andy1076 | February 25, 2013, 10:49 am
  3. Beautiful – Happy Monday:)

Posted by cravesadventure | February 25, 2013, 11:37 am
  4. I am currrently in split. extended my stay for another month to catch the gast fair in march and will be taking day trips from here. will dubrovnik be okay for a months stay ?

Posted by tashastraveltroves | February 25, 2013, 11:53 am
    • I can’t see why not! You will get the chance to get to know the area so much better! I felt my 4 days were so rushed. So much to do. You could do a number of awesome day trips as well…I heard Montenegro was well worth the visit. If you are currently in Split, you could also do some amazing inland trips from there. See some parts of the country that so many people just don’t get to see. Depending on your timing, Omis looked like a nice place for a night or two – just outside of Split. Enjoy the extra time…I am sure you won’t regret it!

Posted by Anita Mac | February 25, 2013, 1:49 pm
  5. I’m going on an organized cycling trip to Croatia in September. I can’t wait! I’ve heard such great things about traveling there. We won’t make it Dubrovnik (this time), but will be in Split and the Dalmation Islands. SwimTrek has a swimming vacation to Croatia that I’d love to do someday, too. Thanks for your post.

Posted by swimbikeread | February 25, 2013, 1:48 pm
  6. Beautiful photo! Now I want to visit Dubrovnik even more!

Posted by Lisa from Gone With The Family | February 25, 2013, 8:30 pm