Love Locks Bucket List – love locks from around the world
From the first time I saw the Love Locks in Prague, I have had a mini fascination with these declarations of love. Where ever I travel, I seek them out. It gives me goose bumps as I read the messages, imagining the couples who have declared their everlasting love and those who are celebrating a life time together, locking their love symbolically through the locks. While I find the walls of love locks more prevalent in Europe, they are becoming more popular this side of the Atlantic with sites popping up throughout the US and Canada.
The custom of the love lock is believed to have origins in China, however the global phenomenon that the locks have become may be more readily attributed to the “I Want You”, a book by Italian author Frederico Moccia and the subsequent screenplay that showed locks on Ponte Milvio.
While controversy roars around the love locks, the list of love lock walls grows. In an effort to save the very bridges that the locks are being affixed to, some cities are embracing the passion and sentiment and adding love lock trees to the urban landscape. In some regions, it is a case of city vs love…I feel lucky to have visited the Ponte Milvio before city council removed the locks citing damage to the historic bridge as the reason for removal. I wonder what the outcome will be for the locks….will the spirit of the locks be upheld with a monument or display, perhaps a tribute to the times? They would make an interesting anthropological cultural study.
Love Lock Bucket List
While new locations are appearing all the time, there are some noteworthy Love Lock Destinations worthy of a Bucket List.
- Paris, France – the city of love and perhaps the world’s capital of romance – love locks along the Pont des Arts and the Pont de l’Archevêché
- Rome, Italy – will the locks be back? Will love lock trees be erected? The future of love locks on the Ponte Milvio is not certain, having been removed in the fall of 2012 (Do we really have to say goodbye?)
- Prague, Czech Republic – found near the Lennon Wall, crossing the Vlatva River, they are a beautiful tribute to the dream of everlasting love
- Cologne, Germany – the love locks are found spanning the Hohenzollernbrücke railway bridge across the Rhine. An impressive display of love locks to inspire even the most reluctant of romantics
- Budapest, Hungary – found between the main square and a medieval castle…a stunning location for a declaration of love
- Dubrovnik, Croatia – perched high above the Adriatic, this new love lock wall boasts stunning scenery just outside this famous medieval walled city
- Moscow, Russia – home of love lock trees, the “blossoming” trees can be found on the city’s Luzhkov Bridge
- Mount Huangshan, China – perhaps the origins of the locks and steeped in tradition, the love locks here have stunning mountain views
- Seoul, South Korea – found on the fencing that surrounds Mt. Namsan’s N Seoul Tower in Central Seoul, thousands of locks declare the love of those who place them there. Part of the tradition is to throw the key to the lock away, forever locking the lovers together. At this site, they have a special bin for the thousands of keys to the love locks
- Montevideo, Uruguay - locks are found at a fountain in Montevideo, Uruguay with a plaque attached reading “The legend of this young fountain tells us that if a lock with the initials of two people in love is placed in it, they will return together to the fountain and their love will be forever locked.”
- Brooklyn Bridge, New York, USA – a growing love lock site with an amazing view of the Manhattan skyline to one side, Lady Liberty to the other. It is worth it to make the walk along the Brooklyn Bridge Pedestrian walkway.
- Wikipedia: List of locations with love locks
- Serendipity: Locks from Montevideo’s Fountain
- Locked Forever? The Legend of Mount Huangshan
- Cologne Bridge Love Locks
- Love Stories in Cologne
- Introducing Dubrovnik’s Love Locks
- Love Locks on line