Bucket List, Love Locks

Love Locks Bucket List

Love Locks Bucket List – love locks from around the world

symbol of love

From the first time I saw the Love Locks in Prague, I have had a mini fascination with these declarations of love.  Where ever I travel, I seek them out.  It gives me goose bumps as I read the messages, imagining the couples who have declared their everlasting love and those who are celebrating a life time together, locking their love symbolically through the locks.  While I find the walls of love locks more prevalent in Europe, they are becoming more popular this side of the Atlantic with sites popping up throughout the US and Canada.

The custom of the love lock is believed to have origins in China, however the global phenomenon that the locks have become may be more readily attributed to the “I Want You”, a book by Italian author Frederico Moccia and the subsequent screenplay that showed locks on Ponte Milvio.

While controversy roars around the love locks, the list of love lock walls grows.  In an effort to save the very bridges that the locks are being affixed to, some cities are embracing the passion and sentiment and adding love lock trees to the urban landscape.  In some regions, it is a case of city vs love…I feel lucky to have visited the Ponte Milvio before city council removed the locks citing damage to the historic bridge as the reason for removal.  I wonder what the outcome will be for the locks….will the spirit of the locks be upheld with a monument or display, perhaps a tribute to the times?  They would make an interesting anthropological cultural study.

little girl looking at the love locks in Paris

Love Lock Bucket List

While new locations are appearing all the time, there are some noteworthy Love Lock Destinations worthy of a Bucket List.

• Paris, France – the city of love and perhaps the world’s capital of romance – love locks along the Pont des Arts and the Pont de l’Archevêché (From Paris with Love)
  • Rome, Italy – will the locks be back?  Will love lock trees be erected?  The future of love locks on the Ponte Milvio is not certain, having been removed in the fall of 2012 (Do we really have to say goodbye?)
  • Prague, Czech Republic – found near the Lennon Wall, crossing the Vlatva River, they are a beautiful tribute to the dream of everlasting love
  • Cologne, Germany – the love locks are found spanning the Hohenzollernbrücke railway bridge across the Rhine.  An impressive display of love locks to inspire even the most reluctant of romantics
  • Budapest, Hungary – found between the main square and a medieval castle…a stunning location for a declaration of love
  • Dubrovnik, Croatia – perched high above the Adriatic, this new love lock wall boasts stunning scenery just outside this famous medieval walled city
  • Moscow, Russia – home of love lock trees, the “blossoming” trees can be found on the city’s Luzhkov Bridge
  • Mount Huangshan, China – perhaps the origins of the locks and steeped in tradition, the love locks here have stunning mountain views
  • Seoul, South Korea – found on the fencing that surrounds Mt. Namsan’s N Seoul Tower in Central Seoul, thousands of locks declare the love of those who place them there.  Part of the tradition is to throw the key to the lock away, forever locking the lovers together.  At this site, they have a special bin for the thousands of keys to the love locks
  • Montevideo, Uruguay – locks are found at a fountain in Montevideo, Uruguay with a plaque attached reading “The legend of this young fountain tells us that if a lock with the initials of two people in love is placed in it, they will return together to the fountain and their love will be forever locked.”
  • Brooklyn Bridge, New York, USA – a growing love lock site with an amazing view of the Manhattan skyline to one side, Lady Liberty to the other.  It is worth it to make the walk along the Brooklyn Bridge Pedestrian walkway.

love locks and taxi New York City

Related links:

49 thoughts on “Love Locks Bucket List

1. Reblogged this on My story to you.. and commented:
    If there is a stronger symbol of love! :)

Posted by andy1076 | February 14, 2013, 12:08 pm
  2. I <3 these locks and very much hope they last for decades to come :)

Posted by andy1076 | February 14, 2013, 12:09 pm
  3. Oh, how romantic! And so very modern with Abloy locks… wich we had love locks in London somewhere…

Posted by Marthafied | February 14, 2013, 12:20 pm
  4. The also have in Berlin … at Weidendammer Bridge. Think it’s a lovely thing. Me and my friend put our lock there.

Posted by viveka | February 14, 2013, 12:35 pm
  5. Anita, thanks for your summary of places to look for love locks; I didn’t know about a number of places in Europe which also have the locks. Also, thanks for including my story, “Love Stories in Cologne”, in your set of related links.

Posted by fotoeins | February 14, 2013, 2:34 pm
    • My pleasure. I love your collection of photos. They are very well done. Cologne is one of the destinations I hope to see really soon. Shhhh….plans for a Christmas in Germany may be underway!!!

Posted by Anita Mac | February 14, 2013, 3:22 pm
      • Anita, I think you’re going to love Christmas in Germany, especially if there’s snow, the many splendoured lights, the food, the Glühwein! There’s a reason why I ended my 2012 RTW with December in Germany! ;-)

Posted by fotoeins | February 14, 2013, 7:23 pm
      • You are a wise man Henry! After Prague, I have become a fan of the European Christmas market…I just need to narrow it down to a couple choices.

Posted by Anita Mac | February 16, 2013, 10:50 am
  6. That’s so sweet! I can’t believe they had to take down the bridge in Ponte Milvio!

Posted by Charity Grace | February 14, 2013, 5:47 pm
    • Luckily, the bridge is still there – they only removed the locks. It pained my heart to see the photos of the locks being dumped into the tractor bucket. I still do not know what the final outcome was…I am almost too afraid to ask!

Posted by Anita Mac | February 16, 2013, 10:51 am
      • Okay, at least the bridge is there. Still, it’s sad that they had to remove the locks; I don’t know if I would ask about what happened either!

Posted by Charity Grace | February 16, 2013, 1:28 pm
  7. They are nuisance and an eyesore. This is one movement that should be nipped in the bud.

Posted by larkycanuck | February 15, 2013, 1:22 pm
  8. I’ve never seen one of these bridges in person but I do appreciate the sentiment behind the idea. If the locks of Ponte Milvio do return, I’d like to add one to declare my undying love for Rome :-)

Posted by Francesca (@WorkMomTravels) | June 9, 2013, 12:28 pm
    • I still haven’t heard about what they are doing for the Ponte Milvio. I would not be surprised if people have found a way to put their locks there again – it is such a romantic gesture and the setting is perfect! I have a lock from LoveLocksOnLine and am still waiting for that perfect place! Love that you would put up a lock to declare your love of Rome…that is awesome!

Posted by Anita Mac | June 10, 2013, 7:39 am
  9. We sealed ours in Cinque Terre in Italy. Funny, I didn’t see the ones in Prague and we got engaged there. LOL

Posted by Kieu ~ GQ trippin | June 9, 2013, 5:53 pm
    • Very cool Kieu! I didn’t know that you got engaged at Prague – what a perfect spot! I will have to look for the locks in Cinque Terre when I go – I am sure it must be in a stunning and dramatic location with all those cliffs!

Posted by Anita Mac | June 10, 2013, 7:40 am
  10. Any reason is a good reason to see some of those places, so if it is love locks that make you want to travel, then more power to you.

Posted by Traveling Ted | June 10, 2013, 1:02 am
  11. I love this! And interestingly, I thought the same when I saw love locks somewhere (I can’t even remember). Could totally go around the world with Mr O and search for some more!

Posted by Ana Silva O'Reilly (@mrsoaroundworld) | June 10, 2013, 8:43 am
  12. I didn’t realize so many cities have love locks now. I’ve seen them in Paris. I don’t recall seeing them on the Brooklyn Bridge. I do understand why cities would be opposed to them because of the damage they could do to some of these historic structures. I know they cut them off in Paris. I wonder how often?

Posted by Lance | June 10, 2013, 11:54 am
    • I agree with the concern over damage. I am good with the locks on bridges – a special fence could easily be erected for that purpose. I get upset to see people attaching their locks on statues and works of art…to me, that is just rude! The ones on the Brooklyn Bridge are nice. Poetic as it is such a poetic bridge.

Posted by Anita Mac | June 11, 2013, 5:24 pm
  13. I enjoy seeing the love locks and thanks for sharing where we can find them. I too seek them out. The first time I saw them was in Paris, but I didn’t get to stop and really look at them. I got to inspect further in Salzburg, Austria. The locks are on a bridge that over looks the river with the view of the Fortress in behind.

Posted by Andrea Rees | June 10, 2013, 3:22 pm
    • Nice. Love the Fortress behind – adds a little drama to the scene. I hope to make my way around to all the major sites, but so many new ones keep cropping up. The Dubrovnik wall, only fledgling when I was there, was quite a special place. The backdrop of the cliffs and the Adriatic was spectacular.

Posted by Anita Mac | June 11, 2013, 5:26 pm
  14. Great guide on where to find these – I would like to add the Ha’penny Bridge in Dublin to your list too! :)

Posted by TravelEdits (@travel_edits) | June 10, 2013, 5:36 pm
  15. I love love locks! I’ve been fortunate to see them in Paris, Rome and Seoul! Well I left a few too ha ha

I can’t believe i missed those at the Brooklyn Bridge! I walked from Manhattan over Brooklyn.

Oh well next time ;)

Posted by traveller soul | June 10, 2013, 5:46 pm
    • You will have to go back to Manhattan – always a great place to visit. I enjoyed walking the bridge and looking at the locks – some of them were almost dare-devilish as they were hanging far over the railing.

Posted by Anita Mac | June 11, 2013, 5:28 pm
  16. I love seeing these locks! they are a part of the cities and it is sad to see them getting taken down! but they are très romantic!

Posted by lola dimarco | June 10, 2013, 9:01 pm
  17. I’d never heard of them, but now I know what they are I’ll be looking out for them. Great Story Anita, really enjoyed reading it.

Posted by Tracey | Chronic Adventures | June 11, 2013, 9:37 am
  18. Adore this post! I had no idea that so many of the love lock bridges existed. Your photos are wonderful, by the way.

Posted by Leah Travels (@L_e_a_h) | June 11, 2013, 10:23 am
  19. A love lock bucket list…now that’s a fun idea. Sadly, I’ve never done this, despite having been to cities where it is common. Perhaps I should change that…

Posted by D.J. - The World of Deej | June 11, 2013, 4:02 pm
  20. I had no idea there were so many…and, one on the Brooklyn Bridge? Where have I been?! I have been getting jealous of everyone and their love lock experiences and there’s one in my own backyard…

Posted by The World Wanderer (@TheWrldWanderer) | June 11, 2013, 5:01 pm
  21. I actually suspect the lock industry is behind this craze… :)

Posted by Raul (@ilivetotravel) | June 11, 2013, 8:52 pm
  22. The love locks in Seoul are pretty impressive. They have to keep adding gates to attach them to because they are so popular!

Posted by meagan8477 | July 21, 2013, 11:19 am

1. Pingback: Love stories in Cologne | Fotoeins Fotopress - February 14, 2013

2. Pingback: TDBL Roundup – February 2013 | Travel Destination Bucket List - February 28, 2013

3. Pingback: From Paris With Love | Travel Destination Bucket List - July 26, 2013