Pictures from abroad

Islands: A word a week photo challenge

A Word A Week Photo Challenge by A Word In Your Ear has selected one of my favourite topics for this week: Islands!  Don’t get me wrong….I am a huge fan of winter!  But today, on groundhog day, I am excited to hear that 2 out of 3 of the groundhogs in the know have voted for an early spring!  As I look out the window at the blanket of white, I daydream of warmer places and island vacations come to mind!

cocktails on a boat

What could be better than escaping to the Caribbean for a week or two, sipping Pina Coladas and swimming with the stingrays?  Or maybe horseback riding in Montego Bay?

swimming with stingrays

Below is a collection of island shots from around the world….a momentary winter escape if you will!

Antigua

Paradise island Jumby Bay Bike, Antigua

Barbados (check out the turtle photos at Turtle Cruise with Silver Moon – these guys are pretty cute!)

beach sunset Monkey on the golf course

Cuba

island getaways

Jamaica

Grand Palladium, Montego Bay, Jamaica

tranquil waters in jamaica

tranquil waters in jamaica

If the Caribbean isn’t your thing….check out these European islands:

Vis, Croatia (Related Link: Paradise found in Vis, Croatia)

yacht charters in Croatia

Mallorca, Spain - we always go there to cycle…one of these days I will make it for the beach!

orbea bikes at the beach

Mediterranean

And a personal favourite…Australia…the world’s biggest island!  This photo was taken Cycling Australia’s Great Ocean Road….takes my breath away!

Australian coast

Sunrise at the Twelve Apostles

The word a week photo challenge is hosted by A Word In Your Ear….

“As many of you know once a week I dip into my Old English Dictionary and pick a word that the page falls open on.  The challenge is to post a blog on what that word means to you.  Most people take a photograph but if you want to write a short story or poem we welcome any genre.    Please link back to this post in your blog so others can follow the thread and take part or read other entries.”

22 thoughts on “Islands: A word a week photo challenge

1. mm…Pina coladas….Sandy beaches…you’ll make a travel addict out of me one day lol

Posted by andy1076 | February 2, 2013, 12:37 pm
  2. Lovely pictures. I have fond memories of the Twelve Apostles. I love the stingray as well, what a great shot.

Posted by The Guy | February 2, 2013, 3:01 pm
    • That is my favourite shot from the entire trip! We got up early and biked in the pitch dark to arrive at the Twelve Apostles in time for sunrise! I couldn’t believe that we had the place to ourselves…it was so beautiful.

Posted by Anita Mac | February 2, 2013, 3:05 pm
  3. I love the Barbados photo. That’s definitely on my places-to-go list.

Posted by Margaret | February 2, 2013, 4:52 pm
  4. I’d love to make it to the Twelve Apostles one day… fantastic picture

Posted by Bashar A. | February 4, 2013, 1:05 pm
  5. Beautiful!

Posted by livvy30 | February 4, 2013, 2:38 pm
  6. One of my biggest regrets is not better documenting my trip to Xel Ha and Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. Your pictures remind me of my time there and leave me with bitter sweet saddness. In other words, nice job.

Posted by READREID | February 4, 2013, 4:54 pm
    • Glad that I could take you back! I know that feeling though…most of my South America and all of my Central America photos are missing! I hope that I can find them some day…the disk got lost somewhere in one of my moves. Every time I see Machu Pichu photos it reminds me of my trip!

Posted by Anita Mac | February 4, 2013, 7:46 pm
  7. Fabulous photos! Thank you for introducing the this beautiful place.

Posted by Amy | February 4, 2013, 5:26 pm
  8. Was wondering if all pictures were taken by you!! amazing pics and times I believe…

Posted by Daniela Karina | February 4, 2013, 7:01 pm
  9. As I sat looking at your shots on this chill, drizzling, gray day in Budapest, I thought: What the hell am I doing here on this chill, drizzling, gray day in Budapest? Time to get out. Thanks for the inspiration!

Posted by mmtread | February 5, 2013, 3:44 am
  10. Thank you for a beautiful photos I really like it your wonderful blog,Please stop on my blog I hope you like it my blog

Posted by rimassolosailingaroundtheworldm | February 5, 2013, 6:42 pm