Meandering thoughts

Travel Confessions of a Travel-a-holic!

For the Love of Wanderlust recently tagged me for a series on Travel Confessions.  The torch has been passed and I am honoured that she thought of me!

There are a few rules in the Travel Confessions series:

• Post a photo (or photos) and description(s) of your confession(s) in a new post.
  • Tweet your post with hashtag #TravelConfession and follow/tweet @Traveling9to5
  • Tag 3 other travelers you’d love to see

1.  I could get lost in a grocery store!

Seriously…it is true!  It is a wonder that I love to travel the world and throw myself into new locations all of the time.  In an act of self preservation, I have taken to photographing street signs and landmarks to anchor my route home!  Thank goodness for digital technology – I can retrace my steps and find my way home with a series of street signs, random corners and residential gardens.  Especially helpful in countries where I can not even begin to pronounce the name of the streets.  Take Prague for an example – try as I might, the language was beyond my ability!  I have been known to show my photos to strangers too in an attempt to get home!

One of the things I loved when walking the Camino de Santiago was all the yellow arrows.  I am convinced my ability to walk across a country was due to the fact that they had literally thousands of these arrows constantly directing me west!

Don’t think I have gotten away unscathed either.  A wrong turn in Temuco, Chile, and I found myself a victim of a mugging and not so friendly encounter with a city bus (read: I was hit by the bus!!!).  Have certainly learned a few lessons along the way and am as passionate as ever about travel!

2.  I can’t drive stick!

This limitation in ability has narrowed my options while traveling in Europe.  Basically, I don’t rent a car.  I am sure confession #1 also comes into play – it is one thing to get lost walking – but I am sure I could go miles out of the way with the power of a car propelling me further off course.  Conveniently, I find public transit in Europe to be better than at home and get around just fine!  There certainly are times when that car would be useful.  A recent trip to Plitvice Lakes National Park in Croatia had me wishing I had a car.

I also overcome the lack of driving a manual car by cycling when I travel.  Europe is perfect for two wheeling it – it is a great way to see the country and speaks to my adventurous side!  More of my favourite cycling adventures include Cycling Across Canada, cycling Australia’s Great Ocean Road and the epic Paris-Brest-Paris!

To keep the Travel Confessions series alive….I nominate the following 3 fellow travel bloggers:

They always have a great story to tell!

21 thoughts on “Travel Confessions of a Travel-a-holic!

1. I just learned to drive a stick in Africa this past year – I still don’t feel confident enough to drive it in city traffic, but I loved it out in the middle of the bush in Botswana!

Posted by Traveling 9 to 5 (@traveling9to5) | February 1, 2013, 10:15 am
    • Botswana would be brilliant as a learn to drive destination….I first learned to drive stick when I was 14, but somehow didn’t keep it up. I probably could in a pinch, but when I think of the narrow twists and turns through old town Europe…just can’t imagine! One of these days…….I just keep telling myself that.

Posted by Anita Mac | February 1, 2013, 6:07 pm
  2. Loving your post – thanks for sharing – great captures too:) Thanks for the nomination – have to work on putting together a post. Happy Friday!

Posted by cravesadventure | February 1, 2013, 2:45 pm
  3. You have been lost in a grocery store! I know, I sent out the search party :) Perhaps I can get yellow arrows put down at the local “ScaryLand”

Posted by iampetert2 | February 1, 2013, 3:06 pm
  4. Oof, I wouldn’t last very long in Europe since I can’t drive stick period. Never learned, that’s scary thought about Santiago though. I grew up in iquique in the early 80′s and had my place ransacked once but never mugged, so much seems to have changed :(

Posted by andy1076 | February 1, 2013, 3:11 pm
    • It was Temuco in Chile where I was hit by the bus! Left me very jittery by the time I made it to Santiago de Chile. I would love to go back there now as it was such an exciting place – it just wasn’t the right time for me! Very scary that you had your place ransacked. I can’t imagine what that would feel like to go back to every day. Not very nice!

Posted by Anita Mac | February 1, 2013, 3:20 pm
      • Believe me, I was completely shocked to find the place like this. Especially because the complex was all fenced off, Luckily the thieves didn’t take off with more than some stationary and clothes. A few months later my family and I decided to move up to here in Canada where it was that much safer.

Happy to know you are alright and that the bus didn’t take away your spirit of travelling and exploring. Whatever was the bus driver thinking though huh? Did he not see the bike? sheesh :(

Posted by andy1076 | February 1, 2013, 8:20 pm
  5. #2 is really tough in Europe & Central/South America… I don’t know how you manage without it!

Posted by Bashar A. | February 1, 2013, 6:15 pm
  6. Sadly, I can’t drive stick either. My one and only experience was my friend and I driving his 1970s original VW-bug with manual transmission from Vancouver to Ottawa. That was a fun memorable trip … and me driving his VW-bug off the road and partly into the ditch. Yeah, I’m not going to forget that part either ,,,

Posted by fotoeins | February 4, 2013, 8:39 pm
    • Yeah…doesn’t sound like you are going to forget that one any time soon! I bet the rest of the trip was pretty amazing. Loved it on a bicycle – would love to do it on a motorbike next. Guess I will have to learn to drive one of those too.

Posted by Anita Mac | February 4, 2013, 11:20 pm
  7. Never boring, Anita. Life’s for smiling- right?

Posted by restlessjo | February 19, 2013, 4:16 pm

1. Pingback: Travel Confessions « cravesadventure - February 4, 2013

2. Pingback: TDBL Roundup – February 2013 | Travel Destination Bucket List - February 28, 2013

3. Pingback: Travel Confessions | Fabulous 50's - February 28, 2013

4. Pingback: Adventures with Explorers’ Edge – quintessentials of the Canadian wilderness | Travel Destination Bucket List - June 14, 2013

5. Pingback: Do You Geocache? | Travel Destination Bucket List - July 17, 2013