USA, Weekend Getaways

FriFotos: Urban Garden along the High Line in New York City

New York City’s High Line: urban garden and sculptures in pictures

Elevated above the streets of Manhattan’s West Side, founded in 1999, the High Line has become the pride and joy of NYC.  It is an urban delight raised above the city streets.

history of High Line

Originally built in the 1930s as part of the West Side Improvement project as a means to mitigate the number of accidents that were occurring between freight trains and street traffic – 10th Avenue had become known as Death Avenue.  The High Line solved the problem by lifting the freight traffic 30 feet above the busy streets, removing 105 street level railroad crossings, connecting directly to factories and warehouses and reducing street level traffic.  The trains ran for years, but use fell into decline with the growth of interstate trucking.  Finally, in 1980, the final train took to the High Line and it was the end of an era.

The people of New York rallied to save the High Line with the Friends of the High Line forming in 1999, fighting to preserve and reopen as public open space.  June 9, 2009 sees the first section of the High Line open to the public….and the rest is history!

Urban Garden:

Colourful Street art:

Art Installations along the High Line:

For more information about the High Line – visit their website.

parking in New York City

For something a little more exciting than the parking billboard I saw as I walked along the High Line, check out Billboard Chronicles – Bringing sexy back to Chelsea

Thanks to Travel with Kat for the introduction into FriFotos with here collection from Cabo Verde (400 miles west of Senegal)!

Related Link:

17 thoughts on “FriFotos: Urban Garden along the High Line in New York City

1. Loving your post – great captures – love when a city recycles and makes an area liveable again:) Happy Friday!

Posted by cravesadventure | January 25, 2013, 12:10 pm
  2. Great Post!

Posted by OwlMcCloud | January 25, 2013, 12:16 pm
  3. I would recommend a visit to High Line Park! it is a great place to spend a couple of hours when visiting NYC.

Posted by jmeyersforeman | January 25, 2013, 10:59 pm
  4. I loved it when we went here, and this is a great example of urban regeneration. I tell all my mates planning to go to New York – “You have to do the High Line!”. Thanks for the write up, great photos.

Posted by cyardin | January 26, 2013, 7:59 am
    • Thanks! Glad you like my write up. Feel free to pass it on to your friends. I look forward to going back and seeing it in a different season….I imagine it takes on a different personality all the time! It is great that they were able to come together to save the High Line – and it has become so popular too!

Posted by Anita Mac | January 26, 2013, 8:58 am
  5. I’ve seen a few post about the ‘High Line’. I must remember to go and see it the next time I’m in NYC. Thanks for your great pics. That parking billboard is very amusing. :D

Posted by adinparadise | January 26, 2013, 10:48 am
  6. Love the billboard

Posted by Bashar A. | January 26, 2013, 11:35 am
  7. As always-great shots… I can frame a nice shot when I see it-but I don’t have your eye for angles

Posted by Emma's Bucket List | January 27, 2013, 4:59 am
    • Or a decent enough camera or lens to produce your focus. Love looking at your pictures

Posted by Emma's Bucket List | January 27, 2013, 5:00 am
      • Thanks Emma. You don’t need to have a fancy camera to produce great shots! One of the above photos was taken with my phone and the rest with my every day lens. I did recently pick up a 60 mm macro, but I find I mostly stick to my all-in-one 18-200mm when I travel. It covers all my bases no matter what I am shooting without the need to keep changing my lens! I learnt the hard way that there are times when lens changes are not good (I got dust in the auto-focus of my film SLR when I was in the Everest region, and it is has never been the same since! Don’t want to make the same mistake with my digital SLR!)
        Happy travels.

Posted by Anita Mac | January 27, 2013, 9:51 am

1. Pingback: FriFotos urban: Cabo Verde Urban PhotographyTravel with Kat - January 28, 2013

2. Pingback: Travel Writer’s Bonanza – a weekend in New York City « traveldestinationbucketlist - January 30, 2013

3. Pingback: TDBL Roundup – January 2013 « traveldestinationbucketlist - January 31, 2013