Food, Spain

San Sebastian’s Restaurant Week – dining at La Muralla

San Sebastian – gastronomic hotspot and glamorous international destination – it is no wonder the movie stars keep coming back.  San Sebastian is stunningly beautiful…and that is barely scratching the surface.

Atlantic Coast of Spain

I lucked out completely.  I unknowingly stumbled into San Sebastian during restaurant week (October 15-28, 2012).  The premise: a showcase of seasonal produce and fine dining with a set price menu.  One week really wasn’t enough as I slowly ate my way through the restaurants and their menus, devouring every flavour and revelling in the freshness.  Menus were set at 25€ plus 10% VAT and included three courses, bread and a bottle of wine.

Introducing La Muralla – fine dining in the heart of San Sebastian.

San Sebastian restaurants

The meal started with a simple yet tasty amuse bouche.  The chef selected a lovely vegetable soup puree presented in a shot glass.  With the warm flavours melting in my mouth, I knew I was in for a treat.  With my little San Sebastian Restaurant Week guide book at hand, I was ready to dive in!

The Starter – Seafood salad with avocado emulsion and fresh tomato vinaigrette

Personally, I though this dish was a work of art.  The flavours were light and fresh.  Even though it was already late October, this dish made me think of spring on the patio – I imagine a nicely paired glass of white wine would have made it perfect.  You could see the love of the craft in the presentation with the avocado emulsion beautifully decorating the plate and mingling with the flavours.  First course in and I was already complementing the chef!

Followed by:  Oyster and Porcini Mushroom Ravioli with Foie Gras Cream

Restaurant week in San Sebastian

Another work of art arrived after the seafood salad starter….the earthy porcini mushrooms mingled perfectly with the rich foie gras cream.  It was as good as it looked with the delicate flavours oozing out of the hand made ravioli – one was definitely not enough.

Main Course – Confit of Iberian Pork Cheeks with vegetable ratatouille and light potato puree

San Sebastian Restaurant Week, Basque cooking

Iberian pork is virtually synonymous with Spanish cuisine.  Having never tried cheek of any kind before, I was not sure what to expect, but knew I would have to give it a try.  Given the dishes that had come before, I should have expected nothing less than a succulent dish, and that is exactly what I got.  While there was very little ratatouille, the flavours on the plate danced on my tastebuds, bursting with porky goodness.  I had not expected such a tender cut.  It was perfectly complimented by the creamy potato puree with a light gravy.

Dessert – Chocolate Sponge Cake with Tangerine Orange Sorbet

decadent dessert, Restaurant Week, San Sebastian

Temptation wrapped in chocolate!  Chocoholics beware – this dessert is a decadent treat.  As if on cue, as my spoon cut into the outer chocolate cake shell, the hot, molten chocolate lava oozed out onto the plate.  It was a perfect finish to my meal.  The tangy sweetness of the tangerine orange sorbet cut through the richness of the chocolate.

A girl can get used to this – every dish was amazing.  (I wasn’t alone in this thought – TripAdvisor rated La Muralla 14th out of 355 restaurants in San Sebastian). Given that the total price included a bottle of wine (I enjoyed a lovely bottle from the Rioja region) – the value for money was beyond expectation.  Not sure how I lucked into a week in San Sebastian during restaurant week, but I certainly made the most of it!

Buen provecho.

Traveling to San Sebastian?  While restaurant week may be over, La Muralla’s menu is sure to please.  They can be found on Calle de Embeltran, one street back from the main pedestrian boulevard.  For reservations, call 943 433 508

More restaurant reviews from San Sebastian’s Restaurant Week:

27 thoughts on “San Sebastian’s Restaurant Week – dining at La Muralla

1. oh man, that food looks amazing! Talk about lucky being there for restaurant week!

Posted by Charlie | November 23, 2012, 9:35 am
    • I know! I couldn’t believe my luck! I needed more time to try them all! Worthy of a return trip. Some of my foodie friends still haven’t forgiven me! Guess that is my fault as I teased them with photos as I ate my way through San Sebastian!

Posted by Anita Mac | November 24, 2012, 11:14 am
  2. Don’t (please don’t) tell me this was all for those 25 euro’s, because thán I understand why Spain in going down on Moody’s ratings.
    What a true superior place you discovered, or to say it in simple words “f#ck#ng awesome”.
    If I was you I would not leave this place, but buy me an apartment just next to it.
    Holy smoke !!!!

Posted by pim | November 23, 2012, 10:15 am
    • No word of a lie – 25 Euros plus tax! And that was including the wine! I really have to say – it was amazing. A brilliant way to promote the gastronomic diversity of the region. The restaurants were full every night. I tended to eat at 8:30, as did many of the tourists, so the restaurant was able to take 2 sittings in the evening. It was a busy place! I would love to come back again and again! I can’t wait to see what they put on the menu for next year!

Posted by Anita Mac | November 24, 2012, 11:21 am
  3. That could be the largest ravioli I have ever seen and I want one!

Posted by Annette | November 24, 2012, 10:38 am
    • Annette – it is a ravioli worthy of a visit! The flavours are as decadent, yet earthy as the photo! Really, the entire meal was really that good! I actually went back another night for a second round!

Posted by Anita Mac | November 24, 2012, 11:06 am
      • if you did go back for another Michelin Star dinner, please share what else you did savor over there !
        I sometimes tell folks here in Dalmatia they could do a lot more (ánd better) with the superb ingredients they have, but this restaurant truly is THE reason to move to Spain in stead of Croatia (but I won’t, as at last I get some grip on this language, and learning spanish would be a bridge to far).
        Enjoy your stay, and stay I mean :-)

Posted by pim | November 25, 2012, 3:53 am
      • Hey Pim – not to worry – there are more food photos and menus to share! The food was so totally out of this world delish…I couldn’t help but move around! As for language – luckily I am able to speak Spanish, although limited. I did find that English was pervasive enough that it was pretty easy to get around! I never did get a grip on Croatian – maybe someday!

Posted by Anita Mac | November 25, 2012, 8:55 am
  4. the first picture is very beautiful and the rest are so yummy :)

Posted by joshi daniel | November 25, 2012, 2:33 am
  5. Should you want to move on (why should you :-) you can also try La Fabrica, owned by the same owners, I learned from Trip Advisor.
    Same quality, same prices, only a different spot, and good to make your followers believe you dó still move sometimes :-).
    Still I would like to add “f@ck@ng awesome”.

Posted by pim | November 25, 2012, 4:05 am
    • You are so right – La Fabrica is owned by the same people. I also had the chance to eat there, and their food was equally delish! Stay tuned for photos and menus from La Fabrica and other restaurants in town….they were all pretty awesome! For dinner each night, I only went to the Restaurant Week venues – I was not disappointed, and for 25 Euros, I really was spoilt for choice and flavour. More food fun to follow!!!

Posted by Anita Mac | November 25, 2012, 8:59 am
      • Keep it coming, as the pictures you take are great, the food you picture even better !
        Am trying to convince some “locals” here they can do sóóó much more with all the fresh, tasty, organic food they’ve got over here.
        Damned, did the very same “trick” all my working life telling dentists how to improve their results, and look at me now, still the same idiot, telling “donkeys” they can be like their colleagues in San Sebastian, preparing delicious food at a fair price and still make a nice profit.
        Guess it’s time for a short break, like last sunday, discovering stunning details of Biokovo Mountains.
        Life’s great, even with donkeys around you (nice ones by the way).

Posted by pim | November 26, 2012, 3:33 pm
  6. Delicious photos! I made a very quick stop off in San Sebastian a few years ago but must make a proper visit and eat my way around.

Posted by Lucy Dodsworth | November 26, 2012, 8:37 am
    • Thanks Lucy! A proper visit to San Sebastian would be well worth it! The food was so incredible – restaurant week was a real find! With so many places to choose from…a few weeks would be totally in the cards.

Posted by Anita Mac | November 27, 2012, 12:02 pm
  7. I would happily eat every single dish you talked about here. Sounds and looks incredible! I had to laugh at your use of “lucked out” – I too use it to mean that I was lucky, but I have been told that is a uniquely Canadian use. To many others it means you were out of luck (which maybe makes more sense…)! :)

Posted by AYearOfTravel | November 27, 2012, 10:26 am
    • I had no idea that lucked out was a Canadian turn of phrase….I certainly mean that I was very lucky to have been there! Given that I couldn’t stop raving about the food, I am sure people will realize that! Totally worth the visit.

Posted by Anita Mac | November 27, 2012, 12:04 pm
  8. The ravioli and chocolate spunge cake look amazing!

Posted by Koren @ City Gal | November 28, 2012, 2:58 pm
    • They were so good….I wish I could recreate the ravioli at home! It was delectable and unique. Such amazing bursts of flavour – wouldn’t even know where to begin. The sponge cake was amazing too. It might make an interesting weekend baking project as I am sure I could re-create it!

Posted by Anita Mac | November 29, 2012, 8:20 am
  9. No wonder you felt in love with San Sebastian, but on another side who didn’t?! You have no choice, this city is too great!

Posted by My Travel Affairs (@MyTravelAffairs) | December 18, 2012, 7:17 pm
  10. You sure did luck out!!! I so want to go there!!! ONE DAY : )

Posted by CaliZona | January 26, 2013, 12:07 pm

1. Pingback: More from Restaurant Week in San Sebastian: Ni Neu « traveldestinationbucketlist - November 27, 2012

2. Pingback: Culinary Inspirations from Restaurant Week – La Fabrica « traveldestinationbucketlist - November 28, 2012

3. Pingback: Food Photography 101 | Nutritionally Yours - November 29, 2012

4. Pingback: Travel Destination: San Sebastian « traveldestinationbucketlist - December 1, 2012

5. Pingback: San Sebastian’s Restaurant Week – dining at La Muralla … | Viviana Web site - December 16, 2012