Food, Spain

Pintxos Crawl in San Sebastian – No Reservations Required

Pintxos Crawl in San Sebastian

So, here I am on a Monday night is San Sebastian, gastronomic centre of Spain and possibly the world, with no reservations…and it is restaurant week!  What’s a girl to do?  But of course – a pintxos tour – the Basque answer to a pub crawl!

Basque traditional food

The pintxos bars were packed as I wandered the streets of old town San Sebastian.  No matter where you turned, people were everywhere – it was standing room only!  Locals and tourists alike were bumping elbows as they ate, drank and moved on through the various offerings of pintxos and bars.

night out in San Sebastian

Pintxos are a snack, typically eaten in bars, traditional in northern Spain and especially popular in the Basque country. They are usually eaten in bars or pubs as a small snack while hanging out with friends or relatives, having a strong socializing component.  In Basque country they are usually regarded as a cornerstone of local culture and society. While they are related to tapas, the main difference between the two are that pintxos are usually ‘spiked’ with a skewer or toothpick, often to a piece of bread. They are served in individual portions and always ordered and paid for independently from the drinks.

mushroom pintxos

Clearly uninitiated, I made my way through 4 pintxos bars before I had to call it a night.  I pointed, nodded and used sign language to make my way through the various tastes of Spain, washing these bite sized morsels down with a glass or two of rose wine (I had read that rose, along with txikito – a young white wine, were the traditional wines to have with pintxos and I have to agree – they both went well with the huge variety of flavours that I sampled along the way).

A visit to the tourist information office showed that you can even sign up for an organized pintxos crawl.  Perhaps this is the way to go as the people that I met on the Basque Culinary Experience told me that the guide gave them the inside track on what to eat and more importantly, where to eat it!  San Sebastian Foods also offers Pintxos cooking classes for those who want to master this Basque tradition!

San Sebastian Foods

A pintxos crawl in San Sebastian – a great night out and the best part – no reservations required!

Related Links:

San Sebastian Pintxos Crawl – A Basque Culinary Adventure – Foodie International

19 thoughts on “Pintxos Crawl in San Sebastian – No Reservations Required

1. Oh how delicious! I could just eat that one with goat’s cheese and balsamic on it. I love the cuisine from the Basque country. Did you do the cooking class? I had problems finding one that didn’t require a minimum of two to book. I am determined to do one one day!

Posted by miramiandmog | November 16, 2012, 9:03 am
  2. Looks really good!

Posted by dutchgoesitalian | November 16, 2012, 9:25 am
  3. Ooohh! Those look delicious, especially the mushroom one. I don’t think I had one with mushrooms when I was in Spain :(

Posted by Annette | November 16, 2012, 9:27 am
  4. What a Cool Experience – thanks for sharing – your photos are making me want to get out and go eat something! Happy Weekend:)

Posted by cravesadventure | November 16, 2012, 12:01 pm
  5. I had no idea I was so close to some place so cool. Thanks for the post, I will have to put this destination on my never ending bucket list.

Posted by davecutherell | November 16, 2012, 3:32 pm
    • It really was pretty close to the Camino – great spot to recover too! San Sebastian is worthing of adding to your bucket list! At least, as you cross one thing off, you never run out of new places to add! Love how that works.

Posted by Anita Mac | November 22, 2012, 1:45 pm
  6. I spent a day in San Sebastian a few years ago and had an amazing lunch (soup, freshly caught fish, dessert and 1/2 bottle of rose per person!) for €10 – such good value. Didn’t stay long enough for the pintxos that time though!

Posted by Lucy Dodsworth | November 16, 2012, 3:47 pm
    • I love the daily menu in Spain. You are so right Lucy – it is awesome value for money. I found many of the pintxos were around €2 plus or minus a little so it added up quickly! One night, I only had pintxos for dinner so I put €20 in my pocket and went into a few places. When I ran out of money, I was full and headed back to my room! A great night out and fun people watching….it was all I needed.

Posted by Anita Mac | November 19, 2012, 10:26 pm
  7. simply yummy :)

Posted by joshi daniel | November 19, 2012, 1:51 am

1. Pingback: Travel Adventure – San Sebastian, Spain « As Time Goes…Buy - November 23, 2012

2. Pingback: What I Bought – San Sebastian, Spain « As Time Goes…Buy - November 24, 2012

3. Pingback: Culinary Inspirations from Restaurant Week – La Fabrica « traveldestinationbucketlist - November 28, 2012

4. Pingback: Travel Destination: San Sebastian « traveldestinationbucketlist - December 1, 2012

5. Pingback: Ottawa Restaurant Bucket List « traveldestinationbucketlist - January 11, 2013