Camino de Santiago

Taking A Break In Estella – Camino de Santiago

Taking a break in Estella – Walking the Camino de Santiago

Camino de Santiago

I find it hard to believe that the physical has beaten me so early on the Camino.  I carry a lot of weight in my pack, more than the 10- 12 kg goal that I had for myself. The terrain has been far more difficult than I ever expected.  In the beginning, the beauty of the landscape was enough – I walked on with a light heart and happy soul.  Every moment a breathtaking sight inspired me – the landscape along the Camino absolutely stunning!

Camino de Santiago landscapes

Somewhere along the way, the blisters, almost an obsession at times amongst some of the pilgrims, including myself, have gotten the better of me!  My feet have become an angry mess – blisters the sizes of football fields are pushing their way to the surface.  The biggest concern – my big toe which, at times, I can not even bend as it swells to double it’s size.  I found myself shuffling to Estella, not even appreciating the view or thinking about anything but my feet.  It is time to take a break.

walking to Santiago de Compostela, St James Way

It is amazing how the world can provide when you need it most.  I have met so many wonderful people already on the trail, including a Dutch man who walked with me into Estella, making sure I found a place to rest before continuing his journey.  Upon my arrival at Hostal Christina, a fellow pilgrim, also suffering for her feet, invited me to share her room – halving the cost for both of us, and allowing our feet the much needed time to heal.  I believe we also benefitted from each others company – conversations flowed easily as we shared life on and off the Camino as we each undertook our own journey’s across Spain.  It is amazing how you can meet the right people at the right time as you walk this centuries old pilgrimage.

walking the way of St James

So here it is – while I have set a goal of walking the Camino in 40 days, I have decided to take a temporary stop – 2 nights in Estella to recover my feet, if not fully, at least enough to carry on.  It will be a chance for my body to catch up to my mind – so that when I continue, I can appreciate all the Camino has to offer – while a tough decision – taking a break in Estella is the right thing to do.  Sometimes we just have to listen to our bodies!

messages on the Camino de Santiago

Written on the wall on the walk into Estella: my mind is willing but the body is not!

Buen Camino!

16 thoughts on “Taking A Break In Estella – Camino de Santiago

1. Glad to hear you’re listening to your body and taking a break. I spent a few nights in Leon while I recovered from angry blisters, swollen feet and overall physical exhaustion from the hot, long Meseta. Great to follow you on the trail.

Posted by Nic Freeman | September 19, 2012, 12:25 pm
    • Thanks Nic! You did well to make it to Leon for a break! Estella was my second 2 night rest, the first in Pamplona. I am absolutely loving the Camino and glad to have the extra time to enjoy everything I can! You know what I am talking about having also walked it – what a magical experience!

Posted by Anita Mac | September 20, 2012, 10:43 am
  2. This break now could save you many days later, if you chose not to listen to your body. And what’s the point of doing something like this if you don’t enjoy it because of the pain? Have fun in Estella.

Posted by texpatstarling | September 19, 2012, 4:34 pm
  3. Things happen for a reason. Obviously you are in the place where you are meant to be at this time. Enjoy the journey!

Posted by Janet Darby | September 19, 2012, 8:57 pm
  4. Wow, poor feet! Do take good care of yourself, Anita. Such a long journey on foot.
    Enjoy your break.

Posted by drawandshoot | September 20, 2012, 4:08 pm
  5. You Poor Girl – Your Poor Feet and Tootsies – Ouchie! Looks like a Great Place to take a Break:)

Posted by cravesadventure | September 20, 2012, 4:38 pm
  6. A well deserved break! Thanks for sharing all about this amazing experience! Loving the posts and photos!

Posted by ashleypaige4 | September 24, 2012, 8:32 am
    • Thanks Ashely – I know my feet really appreciated the break! Estella was lovely and the post office close by – I was able to off load a little of the weight from my backpack, although I will soon be off loading more!

Posted by Anita Mac | September 24, 2012, 9:03 am
  7. Oh, your poor feet! I’m glad you decided to take a break. It’s always best to listen to the body. :)

Posted by Robin | September 24, 2012, 5:26 pm
    • It certainly is. I met people along the Camino who pushed on despite small pains only to find they had to stop for an entire week to recover when the small became big! I am glad to have stopped – I also had the privilege of making new friends when I did!

Posted by Anita Mac | November 10, 2012, 11:55 am

1. Pingback: Albergues and Hotels on the Camino de Santiago « traveldestinationbucketlist - September 28, 2012

2. Pingback: Crazy Encounters on the Camino de Santiago | Travel Destination Bucket List - March 15, 2013