Croatia

Croatia – when can I come back?

Croatia – when can I come back?

With only 2 weeks to explore Croatia – I was left wanting more and dreaming of my next trip before the first visit was even over!  What can I say – what’s not to love about the jewel of the Adriatic?

Solta Island cruise

What would I do differently?  For starters, I believe, like the slow food movement, I am a fan of the slow travel movement.  When we travelled to the Czech Republic last year,we virtually spent the entire 10 days in Prague, only venturing out to Plzen once for the Pilsner Urquel Brewery Tour.  It was bliss.  Every day we filled the hours touring the sights of Prague, never feeling rushed.  We compared favourite schnitzel dinners (the monestary brewery up near Prague Castle was given top ranking by both of us), walked in the forest at Petrin Hill and enjoyed all that Prague had to offer.  We were laid back and in Prague heaven.

My time in Croatia, while absolutely blissful, felt like I was always on the run….2 nights per town meant a lot of time spent travelling, finding accommodation and packing up to leave again before I knew it!  I loved everything I saw, and felt like I was teased for two weeks – taunted as I only skimmed the surface of a gem that is no longer such a secret!

Flying into Zadar was perfect – a small town with a great vibe, I eased through jet lag, got into the groove and was ready to go.  Two nights at Plitvice Lakes National Park was exactly what I needed – other than the park, there was little to see and do, but a day trip to explore the park was not enough – overnight was perfect.  It was after this point that I began to want more time – so much culture and history in Split, hiking and kayaking, and all those fabulous bars and restaurants – I barely saw any of it as the better part of 2 days was lost on the arrival and departure.  Definitely worthy of another visit.

Croatia

Transport by ferry in Croatia is brilliant and the ferry terminal in Split sits across the street from the bus station – so it was quite easy to make the transition to the islands of Croatia.  Look in the dictionary for a picture of paradise, and I am sure you will be looking into the pristine waters, yacht culture and beauty of the Adriatic.  I found my paradise in Vis and am hooked.  When can I come back?  With only 2 nights in the town of Vis, I knew early on that it wasn’t going to be enough.  Vis is also known for its agricultural delights – surely worthy of a week as you eat and drink, sampling the island as only a gastonome would do!  Spending some time in Komiza – a quieter town on the other side of the island, is also a must.  I met a family at the ferry terminal who insisted I promise to come back, and make sure to visit Komiza for it’s beauty is captivating!  The island, once a military stronghold, has found itself less touched by tourism – perhaps I should stop extolling its virtues so that it can remain a secret.  It is a quieter island than neighbouring party hard Hvar, with a slower pace of life – I could relax here for considerably more than the two nights I gave myself!

yachting in Croatia

With so many islands in the Croatian archepelago, be sure to leave plenty of time to explore – the most popular way – charter a sailboat and set sail in the crystal waters…..I am totally hooked….where can I sign up!  I can see nothing more idyllic that mooring at a secluded cove (Vis has 54!), diving off your own chartered yacht, and enjoying the endless beauty of the sea….  The majority of boats docked in Vis were charters.  The atmosphere was electric and relaxed at the same time as people mingled on the streets.  It was amazing to look at all those dazzling yachts, and dream of life on the water.

yachting and swimming in Croatia

That is just one week….we haven’t even begun to talk about Southern Dalmatia and Dubrovnik!  Croatia -when can I come back!

Related posts:

36 thoughts on “Croatia – when can I come back?

1. You must return next year, if nothing else to enjoy the peace and beauty of Cavtat sipping coffee with me.

Posted by Dubrovniklady | September 7, 2012, 10:51 am
  2. Sounds like a lot of Bliss :)

Posted by blisstravelsnews | September 7, 2012, 12:01 pm
  3. I agree with the idea of slow travel. It really allows you to enjoy each and every moment instead of rushing from one place to the next. When we traveled to Canada this summer I had hopes of making it to Thunder Bay but I’m glad we decided to slow down and stay in Lake Superior Provincial Park. I would have loved to made it further around Lake Superior but having the chance to enjoy a smaller portion longer was worth it. Now I’m planning my return trip just as I’m sure you are to Croatia. It looks and sounds beautiful. I will have to venture there at some point. :-)

Posted by f-stop mama | September 7, 2012, 12:42 pm
    • So true! When we went to Prague – we spent 10 days in the one place and it was heaven! I will certainly go back to Croatia – and slow it down so that I can really appreciate all it has to offer, as I only skimmed the surface!
      You made a great choice too – the Lake Superior area is stunning. Not sure if you made it to Ross Point – but it was a great little town. Quaint restaurant and lovely kayaking if you enjoy that sort of thing! That entire area is stunningly rugged and beautiful!
      Happy travels.

Posted by Anita Mac | September 7, 2012, 12:54 pm
  4. Such beautiful photos! I can see why you miss it!

Posted by Hilary Billings | September 7, 2012, 4:51 pm
  5. Slow travel, yes! I’m with you on that.
    Looks wonderful, Anita.

Posted by drawandshoot | September 7, 2012, 6:04 pm
  6. Croatia seems to be the next hot destination. Have been hearing more and more about it and I can totally see why.

Posted by Jack and Jill (@JacknJillTravel) | October 2, 2012, 7:08 pm
    • I think, as a destination, Croatia has already arrived! Even when I got Croatian money from the foreign exchange service back at home, the teller remarked how many people were getting money – and I was lucky to get the last of it for the day! They didn’t have enough for what I asked for! As they are not currently part of the European Union, having Croatian cash was a huge advantage – not everyone accepted Euros! I can’t wait to go back. Croatia was amazing!

Posted by Anita Mac | October 20, 2012, 4:42 am
  7. Hi Anita,
    following your steps on the Camino, and checking your great blog once more, here’s the answer to your question “Croatia, when can I come back”:
    ANYTIME !!!, but to advise you a better, spring is absolutely a beauty (may/june), summer pretty hot (as you’ve experienced) and a bit crowdy, autumn (september) again worth a visit, less hot, less crowded, still great weather.
    And keep in mind Croatia has a wide range of climates and landscapes, of which Dalmatia of course is the most stunning (reason we live here :-).
    If any need for details, do please let me know, I’ll most gladly give you some details.

Posted by pim | October 24, 2012, 6:05 pm
    • Thanks Pim! I know I will be back to Croatia – so much more to see and experience! Torn between spring and fall – will have to wait for what the travel schedule permits! Will definitely be in contact – would love to see and experience some of the “non-touristy” Croatia!

Posted by Anita Mac | November 12, 2012, 7:54 am
  8. Hi Anita,
    Just let you know that I’ve just started enjoying your “travel’,experiences specially this one from Croatia…
    Wonder why :)
    Best Regards

Posted by Bora Bora | November 11, 2012, 11:10 pm
    • It was a pleasure to meet you the other day – glad you are enjoying my travel experiences. I had such an amazing time in Croatia – such a gorgeous country. Looking forward to a return trip. Like you said – there is so much more to see!

Posted by Anita Mac | November 12, 2012, 7:57 am
  9. I am going through all your posts about Croatia (and some other) great pictures, great posts! I might re-blog if you don’t mind :)

Posted by Our Adventure in Croatia | March 8, 2013, 8:42 am
  10. Planning on visiting Croatia this summer! And now you got me all excited!

Posted by Aggy | April 10, 2013, 3:38 pm
  11. Havent been for sooooooooooooooo long. This makes me want to go back!

Posted by Ana Silva O'Reilly (@mrsoaroundworld) | June 4, 2013, 1:44 pm
  12. Great stuff and beautiful shots. I read a post about Dubrovnik several months back and Croatia has been near the top of my list ever since. Of course, this just pushed it a little higher!

Posted by D.J. - The World of Deej | June 6, 2013, 8:30 am
  13. baaah this looks/sounds amazing! the romantic & the hubs are headed there in about a week and i have a feeling im going to be SO JEALOUS. cant wait to hear more about your adventures in croatia!

Posted by Lazy Travelers (@lazytravelers) | June 7, 2013, 8:54 am
    • You will have to find a way to make it over – the secret is out! Croatia is spectacular. I couldn’t get enough of it and have to say – was so incredibly relaxed over there, must have been something in the air. Just felt so good!

Posted by Anita Mac | June 10, 2013, 7:32 am
  14. This is so high on my list, you don’t even understand. I’ve been coveting Croatia for at least a decade. When you go back I must be with you!

Posted by Leah Travels (@L_e_a_h) | June 7, 2013, 3:21 pm
  15. realllllly want to go to Croatia. let’s do it together!! xx

Posted by lola | June 9, 2013, 1:05 pm
  16. Hey Anita,

We share your sentiments – A road trip through Croatia has been the highlight of our travel experiences in the last 5 years. We drove from Zagreb all the way to Dubrovnik and back and were so overwhelmed that we cannot wait to go back. In some places it is so damn pretty and untouched that it actually hurts to see something so beautiful, if you know what I mean :)

We had so much to share from our time in Croatia that we split it into a four part series, the first of which you can read here: http://www.bruisedpassports.com/croatia/roadtrippin-croatia-the-journey/

Cheers

Posted by Vid | Bruised Passports | June 11, 2013, 8:24 am
  17. Hey Anita,

And to answer your question, we hope it’s sometime soon – for you and for us too :)

Cheers

Posted by bruisedpassports | June 11, 2013, 12:13 pm
  18. If only I spent more time in Croatia, I would of visited Zadar, an island and maybe Rijeka. The coast was lovely but I preferred the capital Zagreb. I hope you get a chance to go back soon! :)

Posted by Lukman | August 1, 2013, 10:31 am

1. Pingback: Monday Morning Series – Kayaking in Dubrovnik « traveldestinationbucketlist - October 1, 2012

2. Pingback: Monday Morning Series: The Beauty of Plitvice Lakes National Park | Travel Destination Bucket List - July 8, 2013

3. Pingback: Monday Morning Series: Adriatic Beach – Croatia | Travel Destination Bucket List - July 22, 2013