Croatia, Love Locks, travel

Introducing Dubrovnik’s Love Locks

Thirty five meters above the sparkling blues of the Adriatic Sea, Dubrovnik lovers are pledging their love with Lock Locks – the declaration of eternal love.

love lockets

Even more dramatic is the location of the fledgling love lock wall, high about the waters that have been crashing the coastline for centuries, making the location an even greater symbol of strength and persistence, of the eternal love to which the lovers have pledged.

The Dubrovnik Love Locks first started to appear in February of 2012 – the world wide phenomenon only just beginning to take shape in the area.  When I first asked the tour guide from inside the walled city how to find Boninovo, home to the love locks, she asked why I wanted to see the cemetery.  When I explained that I was looking for the love locks, she pointed me out through the Pile Gate – following the main road along the Dubrovnik coast for less than 1 km.  The views as I went in search of the love locks were beautiful – such a dramatic location to declare ones undying love and devotion!

love lockets Croatia

As the tradition holds, the keys to the locks are flung into the sea – the pact of love sealed with the crashing waves.  What could be more romantic?

The love lock movement is growing.  I recently read about love lock trees being erected as the desires of lovers young and old continue to grow the trend to declare ones love so symbolically.  Other sites around the world include:

• Huangshan, China
  • Rome (Ponte Milvio) and Florence, Italy
  • Prague, Czech Republic
  • Moscow, Russia (on tree like structures)
  • Cologne, Germany
  • Paris, France (Pont de l’Archaveche and Pont des Arts)
  • Montevideo, Uruguay
  • Seoul, South Korea
  • Lovelock , Nevada (what a perfect town name – only an hour outside of Reno)
  • Serbia

Croatia love locks in Boninovo

People rushed past the Dubrovnik wall as they got on with their day.  With so few locks, it went barely noticed. As I stopped to photograph the locks, a couple stopped to look – not sure what the locks were about, they spoke briefly and moved on, unaware of the symbolism of what they just saw.  Will the Dubrovnik Love Lock wall become the source of inspiration as others around the world?  With such a dramatic backdrop, I can not see a more symbolic location!  Only time will tell.

eternal love, love lockets

What about you?  Have you been to any of the walls that are appearing throughout Europe and the world?  Have you added your declaration of love, and as with the tradition, thrown away the key?

Love Locks Links:

LoveLocks in the UK has a lovely collection of personalized locks available to mark your enduring love and devotion including locks that only lock the one time.  The Tree of Life Ceremony is another way to pledge your lifelong commitment on your wedding day, a symbolic action of the vows taken and precious reminder of your commitment to one another.

Lonely Planet lists love locks as one of the top 5 travel gifts – for the romantic of course!

29 thoughts on “Introducing Dubrovnik’s Love Locks

1. This love lock is also catching here in Sydney. The Darling Harbour Bridge is the location for this love locks. However, the Sydney Local Government is discouraging it as it affects the bridge due to rusting of this love locks.

Posted by thebudgetwanderer | August 29, 2012, 10:00 am
    • What a shame – Darling Harbour is such a perfect spot! Perhaps the local government needs to erect a chain link fence just in front for people to attach their locks! It is a shame about the rusting – I just visited the Rome love locks and it was sad to see so many rusted locks – somehow it seemed to distract in my mind. There were a number of beautiful locks and perhaps as the love locks become more popular, people will use locks that are more resistant to rust!

Posted by Anita Mac | August 29, 2012, 1:55 pm
  2. There is also a very popular spot for these locks on a pedestrian bridge in Krakow, which has equally lovely, but less dramatic views.

Posted by Marissa | August 29, 2012, 10:12 am
  3. Woa :) I haven’t seen those before!

Posted by LifeOfBun | August 29, 2012, 11:53 am
    • I love the concept and am making a point of seeking them out when I visit new places! Dubrovnik’s love lock wall is so new. When you go to more established places like Prague, Rome, Cologne….. it is quite interesting to look through the locks, read some of the messages and feel just a little Romeo and Juliet!

Posted by Anita Mac | August 29, 2012, 1:57 pm
  4. Love these – I first spotted them in Paris (lots all over the Pont des Artes too) and saw some in Prague this year too, but sounds like they are popping up all over the place now!

Posted by Lucy Dodsworth | August 29, 2012, 3:38 pm
  5. Such an interesting concept and tradition.

Posted by PC PHOTO | August 29, 2012, 5:06 pm
  6. Great post.Seen others post about the love locks but its great to see one of a new collection just beginning. :-)

Posted by Carole | August 29, 2012, 5:43 pm
  7. Hi Anita!
    I have nominated you for a Very Inspiring Blogger Award. If you wish to accept them, please visit my site for details

Congratulations!

Posted by aidaweb101 | August 30, 2012, 9:28 am
  8. Typing mistake,sorry,”it” not “them”.Obviously time to go to sleep..
    Cheers!

Posted by aidaweb101 | August 30, 2012, 10:42 am
  9. I saw so many of these locks on one of the bridges in Venice, took lots of pictures, our guide explained the significance of these locks. Didn’t know there was a place for them also in Dubrovnik

Posted by Our Adventure in Croatia | March 8, 2013, 8:41 am
  10. What a great and romantic idea.

Posted by Traveling Ted (@travelingted) | July 20, 2013, 3:57 pm
  11. Walking around in Dubrovnik is a real pleasure – I went last year and loved it. Glad your search took you a little more off the beaten path!!!

Posted by ilivetotravel | July 20, 2013, 4:54 pm
  12. I still have yet to visit a love lock location. :( Must make it happen soon!

Posted by The World Wanderer (@TheWrldWanderer) | July 21, 2013, 11:58 am
  13. I love seeing the love locks! They can be a cute thing to do or they can mean the world to a couple. Adding a little more romance to the world!

Posted by lola dimarco | July 22, 2013, 9:57 pm
  14. love locks have really taken off, huh? i think the first time i saw them was in riomaggiore in cinque terre, and now they’re EVERYWHERE!

Posted by the lazy travelershe | July 25, 2013, 9:43 am
  15. It seems like love locks are to be found everywhere these days! I like how these in Dubrownik are hanging above the water – cool shots.

Posted by Pola (JettingAround) (@jettingaround) | July 29, 2013, 1:23 pm

1. Pingback: Croatia – when can I come back? « traveldestinationbucketlist - October 20, 2012

2. Pingback: Bucket List #2: Countries « traveldestinationbucketlist - December 1, 2012

3. Pingback: Do We Really Have To Say Goodbye? Love Locks Rome. « traveldestinationbucketlist - December 12, 2012

4. Pingback: Top 5 Travel Experiences from 2012 « traveldestinationbucketlist - December 28, 2012

5. Pingback: Love Locks Bucket List « Travel Destination Bucket List - February 14, 2013

6. Pingback: Monday Morning Series: Dubrovnik in the summer | Travel Destination Bucket List - February 25, 2013

7. Pingback: From Paris With Love | Travel Destination Bucket List - July 26, 2013