Croatia

Riding the Dubrovnik Cable Car

Effortlessly, the Dubrovnik Cable Car glides up the side of Mount Srd – 778 meters covered in less than 4 minutes – it would be a silent ride if it weren’t for the frantic clicks of cameras as the view over the Adriatic and Dubrovnik’s UNESCO World Heritage Site send the digital world into overdrive!

things to do in Dubrovnik

I love climbing up to the highest point for a birds eye view of any city.  I climbed every clock and bell tower in Prague to see the views from on high so needless to say, I was up the cable car as fast as I could plunk down my Kunas!  Dubrovnik’s Cable Car was worth every Kuna (Croatian dollars – 87 Kuna to be exact)!  I was one of the last onto the cable car and was not lucky to have good views.  I dutifully snapped away, the side of the cable car door cutting into my pictures and the towers and cables not working in my favour.  I resolved to get a better position on the way down thinking that my turn around would be quite quick.  Little did I realize they had a stunning terrace and multiple viewing points completely unobstructed – views of Dubrovnik like I only dreamed of!

things to do in Croatia

If you have time, enjoy the terrace – the prices are on par to eating inside Dubrovnik’s walled city, but the view is out of this world.  I must have sat up there for over an hour, maybe two, contemplating life, the view and the history of Dubrovnik!  The restaurant lies on the edge of the cliff.  The panoramic views extend over the Old City of Dubrovnik, the island of Lokrum and the crystal clear blue Adriatic Sea.  I was able to watch the boats and kayakers come and go, imaging what it would have been like hundreds of years ago when Dubrovnik was an important port city.  From the terrace, you can enjoy the view while selecting from a number of traditional Dalmatian meals and drinks, or simply enjoy a glass of wine…something that I quite enjoyed!

Dubrovnik's Cable Car

The Dubrovnik Cable Car was built to replace the original 1969 cable car that was destroyed during the war in the early 1990s.  The destruction of the original cable car was a strategic move to make the movement of provisions over Mount Srd more difficult.  Today, it is used by over 2.5 million visitors who come to see the amazing panoramic views of the Adriatic.  On a clear day, you can see up to 60 kms – and those are 60 break taking kms!  Needless to say, this is why the neighbouring Imperial Fortress was built here – a strategic and defensive move.  Now, it is a marriage of nature, technology and historical significance.

aerial tram in Croatia

You can buy your tickets on line, or at the ticket agent as you follow the outside of the wall from the Pile Gate.  Given the volume of tourists in the city, I was surprised by how few people were around for the ride, although sadly, enough people were ahead of me in the car that I did not have good views as the cable car glided to the top!  The views from the panoramic terrace were so amazing, it didn’t matter in the end.

Croatia cable car

I can only imagine how gorgeous the views would be at night with the city lit up and twinkling in the night!  It would be a sight to see….

20 thoughts on “Riding the Dubrovnik Cable Car

1. Sounds incredible! I’m always looking for the best views looking down at a city. My sister is going to Dubrovnik next summer with her school. I’ll have to tell her about this so she can look into doing it during their down time. I’d love to do it myself if I get there someday…

Posted by rachelynne | August 24, 2012, 9:36 am
    • That is so exciting for your sister. I hope you also get a chance to visit – it is a fascinating place. The views are out of this world – you really get a feel for the history of Dubrovnik from the top as you see the magnitude of the walls and fortifications!

Posted by Anita Mac | August 25, 2012, 3:03 am
    • I was in Dubrovnik in 2005 and the cable car was not working… good to know that it is back in service i will be there in October for a 14 night stay with a number of sight seeing tours including Mostar. Hopefully I will be able to enjoy a glass of wine on the top of the city.

Posted by Steve Sut | September 9, 2012, 9:03 am
      • I hope you get up to enjoy! The views are amazing! I would love to go up at night on the cable car – I had so little time, I never made it back!
        Have a great time – 14 days will be bliss! Enjoy Mostar – I heard I really missed out!

Posted by Anita Mac | September 9, 2012, 11:48 am
  2. If you have the time, a day trip to Mostar with a local guide would be time well spent. Although their beautiful bridge has been rebuilt, Mostar still shows the scars of an incomprehensible religious war. An interesting prelude to your walk on Camino de Santiago’s pilgrimage road?

Posted by Languedoc Lady | August 24, 2012, 11:37 am
    • Thanks for the tip! Sadly, time is not on my side as I have an overnight ferry booked to Italy, and need to make my way back to the town of Split. I have heard from a number of people that Mostar is beautiful – will have to save for the next trip! The Camino is calling….it is soon time to start!

Posted by Anita Mac | August 24, 2012, 12:45 pm
  3. You lucky girl!!! Dubrovnik is a wonderful place!
    All the best!

Posted by aidaweb101 | August 26, 2012, 1:05 am
  4. Congrats to you… I have just nominated you for an award…
    stop by and get all the details :)

Posted by CanadianTravelBugs | August 26, 2012, 8:51 am
  5. What views from the top – the city looks fantastic.
    That dress is smashing!! It looks like you are having a great time

Posted by saintjohnmasterscrossfit | August 26, 2012, 10:10 pm
  6. Anita, we just rode Dubronik’s cable car. As you wrote here, it offered a magical view!

Posted by Tricia A. Mitchell | April 4, 2013, 9:35 am

1. Pingback: Croatia Photo of the Day: Dubrovnik Cafe Culture « Shutter bug - August 24, 2012

2. Pingback: Croatia – when can I come back? « traveldestinationbucketlist - October 20, 2012

3. Pingback: Bucket List #2: Countries « traveldestinationbucketlist - December 1, 2012

4. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Beyond « Shutter bug - January 24, 2013

5. Pingback: Monday Morning Series: Dubrovnik in the summer | Travel Destination Bucket List - February 25, 2013