Croatia

Paradise Found in Vis, Croatia

Paradise Found in Vis, Croatia

Once shrouded in mystery, the island paradise Vis is now a prestige destination with pristine waters and layers of history.  Considered among the top 10 paradise sites of the Mediterranean, once you visit Vis, you may not want to leave.

yachting Split Previously a military zone of the Yugo era, Vis was off limits from the 1950s to 1989.  As a result, much of the natural beauty has been protected from the booming tourism industry that some some say is destroying the local natural beauty of many Mediterranean shores.  It is ironic as it is that natural beauty that first attracted the tourists in the first place!

sailing the islands of Croatia

Vis is said to be a foodies paradise – the freshest seafood, producers of some of Croatia’s finest wines and a traditional culture that will bring you back for more.  The influence of the farming and fishing traditions are evident whether eating at one of the fine restaurants in town, or a small cafe out on the islands.  Once you step off that ferry, you step into paradise.

caprese salad vegetarian option

My time in Vis was severely limited – I knew that right away as I strolled the promenade my first evening in town.  The air was alive with people, relaxed and enjoying life.  Live music was setting up as I read menus, looking for a place to eat.  I settled upon Admirals – their menu highly appealing and the prospect of sitting outside, mindlessly watching the yachts bob up and down in the harbour the perfect way to close out the day.  I learned that there is the strongest of yachting cultures here in Vis – but more to come on that later.

sailing in Croatia

My objective on the island – a boat trip out to see and swim in the Blue Grotto on Bisevo, one of the many islands in the area.  I had read that you could swim in the cave – the light show in the crystal clear waters would be nothing short of spectacular.  The effect of the midday sun penetrating the cave a mesmerising shimmer of perfect Mediterranean Blue!

sailing to the Blue Caves

My swim in the Blue Grotto was not to be.  While I heard stories of people being able to swim, the sheer volume of tourists and the boats in the cave meant no one got out of their boat.  Perhaps rumours of coming later when the tourists have gone would hold true for a swim, but the illuminating effects of the sun at midday, spilling into the cave, would possibly also be gone!  It was an amazing site – photos do not do the Blue Grotto justice.

boat tours in Croatia

Included in our boat tour was a trip to the small island Ravnik, home of the Green Grotto, a much less visited attraction.  Here, for a small fee, we could catch another boat that would take us to the Green Grotto, where we were more than eager to dive into the water for a swim.  It still amazes me how clear the water is – you can see so much in the pristine waters of Croatia.

Sailing in Vis

Out tour took all day – we sailed around the islands, swam in the Mediterranean and lived in the luxury of Croatia’s paradise.  Paradise has been found – it resides in Vis – it is no wonder they call Croatia the pearl of the Adriatic – time here is priceless!

Useful information:

Take the ferry from Split to Vis with Jadrolinija.  In summer, Tuesday is the quietest day – check with the ferry service for schedules.  The bus station at Split is directly across from the ferry service – quick and easy to get to.  At the time of my travel, there were 3 services a day, with the exception of Tuesday.

private accommodation in Croatia

Need a place to stay – the tourist information directly opposite the ferry terminal will help you find a room in private homes if you have not made arrangements prior to arriving.  Even in the height of tourist season, they found me a room for 2 nights with no problems.

Scooter, car and bike rentals are available, but they go quickly in peak season.  Book your tours at the tourist office – there is much to see and do in Vis.  It was clear to me that 2 nights was not nearly enough time to enjoy this piece of paradise – there is so much to see and do!

35 thoughts on “Paradise Found in Vis, Croatia

1. Loving your post – Great Photos – the water looks so beautiful and inviting:)

Posted by cravesadventure | August 22, 2012, 4:14 pm
  2. Magical! Thank you so much!

Posted by TinCanTraveler | August 23, 2012, 10:15 am
  3. I want to go here! Beautiful.

Posted by miramiandmog | August 23, 2012, 12:24 pm
  4. awesome images

Posted by Waste removal Sydney | October 25, 2012, 2:19 am
  5. Never knew such beauty existed!

Im in love with that blue grotto. It would be hard to leave.

Croatia is definitely in my Bucket list & can’t wait to wander in those cobble stone streets & alleys weee ;)

Posted by travellersoul76 | April 8, 2013, 4:18 pm
  6. I love Croatia – the blue sea, the history, and the food and wine!

Posted by Raul (@ilivetotravel in Twitter) | April 16, 2013, 2:31 pm
  7. Seriously.. you had me at the tomatoes, moz and basil pic! We had a chance to visit Croatia when we were in Eastern Europe last winter but figured we’d rather go when the whether is warmer so we can enjoy the sea!

Posted by GQ | April 16, 2013, 4:21 pm
    • I think I would have been in the same boat. I would like to go back in September – still warm enough after summer, hopefully fewer crowds…I hit a at the peak season. Yet, somehow, Vis didn’t feel like it was so busy. Everyone was so relaxed.

Posted by Anita Mac | April 18, 2013, 1:30 am
  8. Oh, this made me so sad. My grandfather is from Cres in Croatia, and this brought my right back. It is honestly, my favorite country in the world, and I need to see more of it. This is beautiful!

Posted by The World Wanderer (@TheWrldWanderer) | April 16, 2013, 4:56 pm
  9. How on earth have I not heard of Vis? Croatia as a whole is slowly moving up my list, and this is yet another good reason why…

Posted by D.J. - The World of Deej | April 17, 2013, 5:50 pm
    • I think Vis is a well kept secret! The little village on the far side of the island also warrants a visit as most don’t venture beyond the main town, myself included on this trip! The entire country was amazing – totally warranting a visit. You should go before all the secrets get out and everyone knows how awesome it is!

Posted by Anita Mac | April 18, 2013, 1:32 am
  10. Croatia has been on my list for at least 10 years. Vis looks so awesome! Maybe this summer I can get there. I REALLY want to get there!

Posted by Leah Travels (@L_e_a_h) | April 18, 2013, 5:59 pm
  11. After seeing these wonderful pictures and hearing about how awesome it is, I long to be vis-a-vis with Vis.

Posted by Traveling Ted (@travelingted) | April 18, 2013, 10:18 pm
  12. oooh SO so excited to get to croatia in june! will keep vis in mind for sure. xo! the romantic

Posted by Lazy Travelers (@lazytravelers) | April 20, 2013, 4:30 am
  13. i really want to get to Croatia. maybe this summer…MAYBE

Posted by lola | April 20, 2013, 2:47 pm

1. Pingback: Croatia photo of the day: abstracts by bus « Shutter bug - August 23, 2012

2. Pingback: Croatia Photo of the Day: Dubrovnik Cafe Culture « Shutter bug - August 24, 2012

3. Pingback: Anita Mac finds paradise on Vis - August 27, 2012

4. Pingback: Croatia: Relax « Shutter bug - August 30, 2012

5. Pingback: Croatia – when can I come back? « traveldestinationbucketlist - September 7, 2012

6. Pingback: Bucket List #2: Countries « traveldestinationbucketlist - December 1, 2012

7. Pingback: Islands: A word a week photo challenge « traveldestinationbucketlist - February 2, 2013

8. Pingback: Monday Morning Series: Adriatic Beach – Croatia | Travel Destination Bucket List - July 22, 2013