Croatia

The Most Beautiful Sunset in the World – welcome to Zadar

If Alfred Hitchcock said it – it must be true!  The most beautiful sunset in the world is found in Zadar, Croatia!

quote from Alfred Hitchcock

While a guest of room 204 of the former Hotel Zagreb, Hitchcock is quoted as saying: “The sunset of Zadar is the world’s most beautiful and incomparably better than in Key West, Florida”.  This honour was bestowed upon the sunsets of Zadar back in May of 1964 and continues to garner much attention today.

quote from Alfred Hitchcock

I had the pleasure of enjoying the most beautiful sunset in the world while taking a 1 hour Zadar cruise.  While it had been suggested to me that a ferry would give equally good views at a lower cost, I couldn’t resist the opportunity to be out on the water at sunset – my favourite time.  I think the photos speak for themselves! (Note:  none of the photos have been altered – the sunset was actually that stunning – no wonder Hitchcock declared them the most beautiful sunset in the world!)

sunset cruise in Zadar

The tour was actually not a sunset cruise – although I asked before buying my ticket what time to expect the sun to set, and bought the tour to coincide.  It was a one hour tour of the Zadar harbour, with historical elements of this ancient city recounted through a headset as we sailed around the Old Town peninsula.  The tour – 10 Euros, the sunset – priceless!

Related posts:

An Idyllic Afternoon in Zadar

34 thoughts on “The Most Beautiful Sunset in the World – welcome to Zadar

1. This IS one of the most beautiful sunsets.

Posted by PC PHOTO | August 16, 2012, 9:42 am
  2. The Dalmatian coast is magical, so much more to come.

Posted by Dubrovniklady | August 16, 2012, 9:51 am
    • I can hardly wait. Every one I meet has said the same, especially about Dubrovnik! The sunsets in Zadar will be hard to beat! Looking forward to more as I travel down the Dalmatian coast.

Posted by Anita Mac | August 17, 2012, 1:23 am
      • When visiting Croatia another moment, I’ll gladly bring you to a spot where you will experience sunset even more spectacular.
        Put this in your bucketlist, and don’t hurry, as it will still be there the next thousand years !

Posted by pim | August 24, 2012, 6:08 pm
  3. Dalmatia is stunning!!!I was there a couple of times and loved little town Tucepi,
    not far away from Zadar.Tucepi has the best beach,much better than Zadar,I think.
    Bosnia is just next door.If you have a chance to visit Mostar ,Sarajevo etc,,you
    will not regret it!! Have a great time!
    Enjoy it!Cheers!

Posted by aidaweb101 | August 16, 2012, 10:31 am
  4. Fantastic.

Posted by texpatstarling | August 16, 2012, 11:38 am
  5. So golden! Thanks for taking us all along!

Posted by jodysjourneys | August 16, 2012, 1:28 pm
  6. Wonderful photos of a beautiful place. I appreciate you sharing this with me/us.

Posted by katehobbs | August 16, 2012, 2:52 pm
  7. OMG – Simply takes my breathe away – love your photos – Happy Thursday:)

Posted by cravesadventure | August 16, 2012, 4:30 pm
  8. I am a huge sunset fanatic and loved these pictures! I had no idea Zadar was known for sunsets!

Posted by Gina | August 25, 2012, 5:44 pm
  9. peaceful :)

Posted by joshi daniel | November 19, 2012, 2:42 am
  10. whoa! those are some gorgeous sunset photos and it does sound like a total steal at 10 Euros!!

Posted by lola | March 28, 2013, 4:17 pm
  11. Oh, wow, that is one awesome sunset!!

Posted by flaneriefeminine | April 21, 2013, 9:09 am

1. Pingback: An Idyllic Afternoon In Zadar « traveldestinationbucketlist - August 16, 2012

2. Pingback: Travel Theme: Sunset | a hectic life - August 17, 2012

3. Pingback: Croatia photo of the day: abstracts by bus « Shutter bug - August 23, 2012

4. Pingback: Croatia Photo of the Day: Dubrovnik Cafe Culture « Shutter bug - August 24, 2012

5. Pingback: Croatia – when can I come back? « traveldestinationbucketlist - October 20, 2012

6. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Beyond « Shutter bug - January 24, 2013

7. Pingback: Monday Morning Series: Life is in session | Travel Destination Bucket List - March 11, 2013

8. Pingback: Monday Morning Series: Sunset over the Adriatic, Croatia | Travel Destination Bucket List - April 22, 2013

9. Pingback: Monday Morning Series: North Bay Sunset | Travel Destination Bucket List - May 26, 2013

10. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Golden Hour | Shutter bug - July 18, 2013