Meandering thoughts

Transition Zone

All my adult life, I have worked towards succeeding in my career, rising to top honours in 2010, sacrificing time with family and friends, forgetting my needs as I gave my all for the ranking of #1 in my company for all of Canada.  Some said it couldn’t be done, but with dogged determination, I knew I would make it.  I had faith in my abilities.  It is a moment I will always be proud of.

Fast forward to this week – the transition zone.  I am proud of what I accomplished – for me, for my clients – I gave them my all, but the frenetic pace was no longer sustainable, always on the road – I was punching above my weight zone!  It started to affect my health.  The balance between work and life had been lost, seemingly impossible to regain.  It was time for some big decisions.  I will be back to deliver the big results, but for now – I choose me.

This week is the transition – packing up my professional life – taking a hiatus to re-energize, re-organize and find myself again.  This week is the start of the rest of my life!

Thank you for following my travels and journeys so far – it has been great to share tales from the road, and I have learned so much from many of my readers through their comments and blogs.  I hope you will join me through the next phase of my journey – it will be a journey of learning and growth.  I will have the opportunity to get to know myself again, to rebuild and come back roaring to conquer the corporate world again!

What’s in store?

I will be spending nearly 2 weeks in Croatia – a chance to re-engergize on the Adriatic, experience the culture, soak up the sun and wind down after the stresses of making such a tough decision.  This will be a true vacation – I am sure there will be many tips from the road, hotel and hostel reviews and I will share my best photographs – I hope you will be inspired to visit the jewel of the Adriatic as I have.  I have spoken to many people, emailed even more and have been told that I won’t want to leave after 2 weeks – so many before me have fallen in love with Croatia, and I have no doubt that I will too!

From here, I will be travelling to Spain – the Camino de Santiago is calling.  This will be the true retreat – the hard work begins here.  It isn’t the distance or the terrain, it is the personal reflection and growth that will be the real challenge.  I look forward to getting to know myself again, regain the strength that has brought me to this point and propel me to my future.  So many speak of the Camino Trail in thirds – with personal growth and development changing as does the trail.  This is a significant journey, and not one to be taken lightly.

I hope you will join me on this journey – it is one of significance.  This journey that is the Camino begins with a single step – join me on the 1.5 million footsteps as I walk the Way of St James.

I would also like to take this time to thank my partner.  He has lived through the ups and downs, the long days and weeks on the road and the Friday nights glued to my computer.  It takes a special person to let their partner go off into the unknown for so long.  This is a solo journey and the ticket is for one!  He will be keeping the home fires burning in my absence – and for that I am thankful.  It is a true gift!  I have so much to be grateful for – and I know that I am truly blessed.

61 thoughts on “Transition Zone

1. Good luck!!! Looks like it will be amazing!

Posted by Virginia | August 8, 2012, 10:52 am
  2. Good luck in your transition! And good for you!!

Posted by catbirdinoman | August 8, 2012, 11:03 am
    • Thanks. It was a huge decision – not one that was taken lightly either. At the end of the day – I believe it was the right one, albeit rather scary! Would be nice to have a job to come back to.

Posted by Anita Mac | August 8, 2012, 1:19 pm
  3. This might help http://matadornetwork.com/goods/how-to-pack-for-the-camino-de-santiago-pilgrimage-trail/

All the best to you! :) Hope you really find what you’re looking for!

Posted by ManilaCitizen | August 8, 2012, 11:03 am
  4. What a lovely post! I’m inspired by your next steps myself. Currently a little in limbo, taking a summer holiday before my next work contract starts in October – perhaps a trip to Croatia is calling me too, have always wanted to go. As for the Camino, that’s on the list too. Looking forward to reading your upcoming posts! All the best.

Posted by miramiandmog | August 8, 2012, 11:04 am
    • Thanks. If you make it in August – let me know as it would be fun to meet up, but I know I will be in Croatia for the most expensive time. From everything I have seen, September would also be stunning, with a better price tag. I will be sharing tips along the way – feel free to ask me any questions as I go if you do decide to make it over. I may have less internet access than I am used to, but will do my best to get back to you. Given how much I fell in love with Prague in winter, I am certain Croatia in summer is going to be amazing! Good luck on your decisions!

Posted by Anita Mac | August 8, 2012, 1:23 pm
  5. Have fun Anita, be safe and can’t wait to see the pics :)

Posted by 2 Rivers Photos | August 8, 2012, 1:14 pm
  6. Enjoy it Anita! The footprints you leave behind on the Camino Trail will leave a lasting impression for those who aspire to follow you.

Posted by vickith | August 8, 2012, 2:37 pm
  7. Looking forward to read about your Camino de Santiago adventure. Good luck and enjoy it!

Posted by Herman | August 8, 2012, 3:04 pm
  8. Your experience rings of familiarty to me. The best to you. I’ll be watching.

Posted by themofman | August 8, 2012, 6:51 pm
  9. Good for taking time for YOU – Enjoy:) I am waiting on the edge of my seat waiting to hear about your travels, explorations and adventures! Good Luck & Have Fun:)

Posted by cravesadventure | August 8, 2012, 11:24 pm
  10. Anita, this is wonderful! What a beautiful journey to be embarking on. I sincerely look forward to “coming along”.
    Best wishes,
    Karen

Posted by drawandshoot | August 9, 2012, 10:58 am
  11. Have a wonderful trip! My thoughts and prayers are with you!!

Posted by Travel Spirit | August 9, 2012, 11:51 am
  12. Greetings from North Wales (UK). If you’ve not seen this http://timeforarethink.net/2012/08/08/somebody-up-there-likes-me/ then you might enjoy it. I do ^-^
    All the best,
    Mrs B

Posted by MrsBoardwell | August 9, 2012, 12:55 pm
    • Oh my Mrs B – you have gotten yourself into a scrape! Glad you were ok. Reminds me of an incident in South America with a backpack, a bus and the loss of balance…..but then, that is another story! Glad you are ok.

Posted by Anita Mac | August 9, 2012, 2:52 pm
  13. I think you made a great decision. Way to achieve your goal, but know when you need to take a step back! Looks like a well deserved break and I can’t wait to read all about it!

Posted by ashleypaige4 | August 9, 2012, 6:23 pm
  14. You are making a brave decision but one which I am sure will be rewarding. I see many of my friends staying on the treadmill for lack of courage or inspiration to do something else, something more fulfilling. I am sure you will gain both from this new chapter in your life. I am also changing direction, do I’ll follow your adventure with interest! All the best!!

Posted by mikanqueen | August 10, 2012, 1:15 am
  15. Good for you and I am inspired and intrigued by this change in your life. Good luck and I look forward to more from you on here. Have safe and happy travels and enjoy this much needed time for yourself!

Posted by f-stop mama | August 10, 2012, 1:21 am
  16. I´m hoping to walk the Camino next year. Buena suerte!

Posted by Marianne | August 10, 2012, 7:40 am
  17. Inspiring story and continuing journey that you are on, Anita. Safe travels, happy shooting and never stop looking!

Posted by Jane Lurie | August 11, 2012, 2:50 am
  18. Let me know when you arrive in Dubrovnik, I would love to have a early morning coffee with you.

Posted by Dubrovniklady | August 13, 2012, 11:50 am
  19. Sounds like this change is just what you’ll need and a great chance to regroup and recharge. Look forward to reading about your Croatia travels as I’ve been longing to go there for years. And best of luck for the Camino!

Posted by Lucy Dodsworth | August 13, 2012, 12:13 pm
  20. I’m almost jealous. Walking the Camino is something I want to do. I look forward to following you on your journey. I hope you find what you’re looking for. :)

Posted by Robin | August 14, 2012, 6:19 pm
  21. Best wishes. What did you do professionally/on the job? Right now I’m in a different mode…living in an area not my no.1 choice, but the job offer came first. That’s just reality. Are you still biking? Just do the simple rides if you can.

Posted by Jean | August 14, 2012, 11:58 pm
  22. Good for you, Anita! – transitions are always difficult but it’s important to make those hard decisions and put your well-being first! I will enjoy following along on your adventure – have an amazing time!!

Posted by Lisa @ Gone with the Family | August 15, 2012, 12:05 pm
    • Thanks Lisa. I know a lot of people have been stunned by my decision, then uttered the words “I wish I could do that” referring to courage, freedom or other similar issues. Regardless, many are at the cusp of a “transition” but just not making the jump to the other side. I sat on that fence for close to a year and a half. But, it is not for everyone. I am glad I had put myself in the position to be able to do it – for that I am lucky. As for the adventures – they are only limited by reality – never the imagination! Looking forward to see what this transition brings forth – only time will tell!

Posted by Anita Mac | August 15, 2012, 5:35 pm
  23. Talking about transitions, think it’s time to tell why we live in Croatia today.
    Was working my balls of for 35 years in Dutch dental trade in what ended to be part of Henry Schein’s worldwide imperium.
    Making excellent money in a great profession, but at the same time killing myself doing so (just like you, running around a lot and spending nights behind my pc when at home).
    How great can life be :-(
    Two years ago had a severe burn out, and said to my wife “it’s either time to kill myself or make a giant change together”.
    Big changes don’t come easy, but it was the BEST decision we ever made, as today we live in peace, slightly away from the summercrowds, but with all Croatian delights in close reach.
    So, keep your battery in shape (and your bucket filled), as when you ignore yourself for too long, you might one day end up…………living in Croatia.
    After all not the worst to happen :-)
    Enjoy your every step through Spain ánd life !

Posted by pim | August 25, 2012, 3:24 am
    • Thanks Pim, I can relate to what you are saying! I am so glad to have this chance to take a break for myself, refresh the batteries and enjoy life a little! I know I will be back to the corporate world again, but the next little while is for me! You are so lucky to have been able to make Croatia home – I am enthralled by how beautiful it is here! I will certainly be back! But for now, it is time to move on towards Spain – the Camino de Santiago is calling!

Posted by Anita Mac | August 25, 2012, 1:57 pm
  24. Doesn’t surprise me to learn that you made top spot Anita, Do you ever think you’ll be able to go back to the corporate world in the same way? Have your plans changed since you wrote this post?

Posted by Tracey | March 6, 2013, 10:05 pm
    • Thanks Tracey! I can say…persistence is a virtue, and hard work is what got me to the top! Not sure that I can go back to the corporate world the same way. I have changed a lot, but in some ways, I have not changed nearly enough! Following the unconventional path can be so hard and scary at times! Made even more difficult by the fact that close family and friends are not always supportive. But packing in my job for the second time, following my heart and having faith in myself – that showed me what was most important! Working on carving out a new life for myself…no safety net included!

Posted by Anita Mac | March 7, 2013, 9:41 am

1. Pingback: Dreaming of the Camino de Santiago « traveldestinationbucketlist - August 8, 2012

2. Pingback: Living in the Present « traveldestinationbucketlist - August 10, 2012

3. Pingback: Monday Morning Series: Dubrovnik « traveldestinationbucketlist - August 13, 2012

4. Pingback: Time for Reflection – Camino de Santiago « traveldestinationbucketlist - September 12, 2012

5. Pingback: You Are Never Alone On The Camino De Santiago « traveldestinationbucketlist - October 19, 2012

6. Pingback: Top 5 Travel Experiences from 2012 « traveldestinationbucketlist - December 28, 2012

7. Pingback: Tips for walking the Camino de Santiago | Travel Destination Bucket List - March 8, 2013

8. Pingback: Anticipation: Heading to my first TBEX | Travel Destination Bucket List - May 1, 2013

9. Pingback: Monday Morning Series: Crossing Paths on the Camino de Santiago | Travel Destination Bucket List - June 17, 2013

10. Pingback: Monday Morning Series: See The World | Travel Destination Bucket List - August 19, 2013