USA, Weekend Getaways

The Color Run – New England

Welcome to the Happiest 5K on the planet – welcome to the New England Color Run!

Boston, New England

Nothing prepared me for the scene that unfolded as we walked to the start area for the 5K New England Color Run.  11,000 people registered for the event and bus loads of runners dressed in white were being unloaded at the registration and start area.  The excitement and buzz in the air was infectious.  Everyone was in a white shirt – the perfect canvas for the 10,000 lbs of colour that was about to be unleashed on the runners.  They started the run in waves of white – but those white shirts wouldn’t last for long!  There were people as far as the eye could see on the start line.  The music was rockin’, swag was being thrown into the crowds – it was only 8 o’clock in the morning and the party had already started!

Boston, New England

For the uninitiated – the premise of the color run was fun.  First held in 2011,the Color Run founder Travis Snyder wanted to create an event that would encourage people to get out and run just for the fun of it. He wanted people to enjoy the experience of running together, the camaraderie of the event, and to add something a little out of the ordinary to the race; something that could serve as a sort of visual reward for all the hard work these runners put in to training for the event.  I can safely say, he succeeded!  It was outrageous fun and I can’t wait to do it again.

Boston, New England

With the start of the race, color madness was unleashed on the masses.  Plumes of colour drifted in the air as thousands of runners giggled along the course.  Me – I am not a runner – so the run was all about getting the maximum color possible as I ran through each station.  People ran, walked and pushed strollers along the route.  Mid way, a man was out with his bagpipes.  I even saw a couple of colored dogs on the way home.  Locals came out and cheered us on from their front lawns – it seemed everyone was behind the fun.

Boston, New England

Every kilometer was a color station with energetic volunteers armed with bottles of powdered colour.  We started in the second wave and could see the colour clouds billowing up ahead.  It was the most fun chaos you could have in a run!  People of all ages, with costumes and tutus took to the New England roads in waves.  It must have been the easiest 5K ever – I barely noticed the distance as I jockeyed for extra squirts of color, my t-shirt and face a kaleidoscope of blue, red, yellow and green.

Boston, New England

The color dust is completely safe, organizers say, although they suggest it is surprisingly high in calories and leaves a chalky aftertaste.  They were not wrong on the chalk – I had powder up my nose, in my mouth – I was sneezing blue that afternoon.  It stays with you for a while – 2 days later – I was still finding blue paint in my ear and yellow in my hair!

Boston, New England

People continued to stream in after we finished.  The energy levels never went down as literally thousands of people, white teeth glowing in the faces of color, lived it up at the after party in the park.  The organizers really thought of everything – they had a photo booth set up with iPads so that participants could upload their photos to facebook or twitter.  They had a band pumping out the tunes, everyone dancing in the sunlight, colour packets exploding in the air.  Sponsors were giving out free drinks and granola bars – the coconut water was particularly refreshing after the run.

Tips after my first color run:

Boston, New England

Get there early.  We lucked out – not knowing the area, I booked us into the Amesbury Marriott and was in walking distance to the start.  With no parking at the run, people parked off site and were delivered to the start line by bus.  I heard they had 45 buses shuttling people to the start – in one photo I caught the line of 8 full size school buses, all full of runners!  It was a sight to see.  There were people everywhere!

Boston, New England

Be prepared to stay the day – we really had no idea how much fun we were going to have.  Don’t get me wrong – I was excited!  We had made plans for the afternoon, but I would have loved to have spent more time at the after party!  Next year, we will plan to stay longer.  They had tonnes of stuff to do at the Amesbury Sports Park!  A giant slip –n- slide, Zorb rides on the longest Zorb lanes in North America, summer tubing, a mechanical bull, and plenty of cold beer and hot BBQ added to the fun.  The DJ and live bands looked like they would keep the party going all afternoon.

Boston, New England

Such a vibrant event – have you done the color run?  I can’t wait to do it again!

43 thoughts on “The Color Run – New England

1. It is supposed to be an absolute blast! Had a friend who did it. Sounds like you had a great time, too!

Posted by kalima123 | August 1, 2012, 8:41 am
  2. Sounds nuts! Do they have colour runs in Canada? My friends are always up for a run!

Posted by Smith | August 1, 2012, 9:02 am
  3. fabulous, full of fun.. ;)

Posted by cobbies69 | August 1, 2012, 9:14 am
  4. Run and fun! Looks like it was a blast!

Posted by PC PHOTO | August 1, 2012, 11:31 am
  5. Awesome! That looks like soo much fun! I want to go to the one in NYC, but I was put on a waiting list :(

Posted by Virginia | August 1, 2012, 11:34 am
    • Boston had a huge waiting list and they opened up a second run. We ran with 11,000 on the Saturday and they had another 7,000 sign up for Sunday. Hope you find yourself with the chance to do the same – it was buckets of fun.

Posted by Anita Mac | August 2, 2012, 8:30 am
  6. Wonderful fun I’m sure.

Posted by katehobbs | August 1, 2012, 12:39 pm
  7. Looks like good fun, Anita! :)

Posted by drawandshoot | August 1, 2012, 4:14 pm
  8. Wasn’t that the most 5k fun ever?? I loved it, and enjoyed reliving the experience through reading your post. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many happy people in one place, and not a complaint to be found among them. :)

Posted by Robin | August 1, 2012, 4:47 pm
    • I couldn’t agree more! Everyone having so much fun – the energy was sky high! I couldn’t wait to do the run and loved your photos! I did take my little point and shoot camera in on the run – didn’t have any problems! Helps that it was waterproof, so I just washed it when I was back at the hotel! Would love to go back and take more photos with the dSLR. Great fun.

Posted by Anita Mac | August 2, 2012, 8:37 am
  9. What a fun atmosphere, Anita! Reminds me of the Holi celebrations in which we participated earlier this year in Goa, India. Are you still finding remnants of the colorful powders in your camera’s nooks and crannies? :)

Posted by Tricia A. Mitchell | August 1, 2012, 5:30 pm
    • I have never been to the Holi celebrations – but they look amazing. As for the camera – I have a brilliant little waterproof point and shoot. Very few nooks and crannies and I was able to throw in a sink of water and wash. Still pulling blue powder out of my ear though!

Posted by Anita Mac | August 2, 2012, 8:40 am
  10. Your post made me smile – loving your photos:) If I had to run I would choose a color run instead of a mud run.

Posted by cravesadventure | August 1, 2012, 11:03 pm
    • I agree. Not a huge fan of mud, although I was speaking to a lady in the start zone who had done a mud run and she said it was lots of fun. I think I’ll still with the fun and happy colors of the color run!

Posted by Anita Mac | August 2, 2012, 8:41 am
  11. I saw your link on Bucket List Publications and have added a link to your site on mine, too. Hope you stop by for a visit: http://theopensuitcase.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/this-ones-for-the-wanderers/

Posted by The Open Suitcase | August 2, 2012, 6:08 am
  12. I’m a New Englander and I didn’t know about this – thanks for the excellent information (for next time). Great post!

Posted by megtraveling | August 2, 2012, 10:49 am
  13. Great pictures! You really capture the fun in these pictures with those wide smiley faces! Wish I could be there to join the event!

Posted by evy | August 2, 2012, 10:56 am
  14. love this! i’ll do it with you next year. i’m in Massachusetts after all!!! really, who couldn’t love a colorful happy jaunt like this. :)

Posted by lola | August 2, 2012, 4:25 pm
  15. I read this post the other day while having breakfast at work and forgot to come back and comment until now :-) This looks like so much fun. Our color run here in Indianapolis has already passed but I will have to check into next time it comes here. What a fun day indeed!

Posted by f-stop mama | August 5, 2012, 12:55 am
  16. Looks like a ton of fun!

Posted by eof737 | August 5, 2012, 7:05 am

1. Pingback: The Color Run « traveldestinationbucketlist - August 1, 2012

2. Pingback: Road Trip: Weekend in Boston « traveldestinationbucketlist - August 3, 2012

3. Pingback: Top 5 Travel Experiences from 2012 « traveldestinationbucketlist - December 28, 2012

4. Pingback: TDBL Roundup – February 2013 | Travel Destination Bucket List - February 28, 2013

5. Pingback: Active Holidays – Getting your exercise on the Road | Travel Destination Bucket List - March 1, 2013

6. Pingback: Rochester NY Bucket List – there is something for everyone! | Travel Destination Bucket List - May 5, 2013

7. Pingback: Running the Rochester Color Run | Travel Destination Bucket List - May 17, 2013