Meandering thoughts

Photo Tribute to Mother Earth: Earth Day 2012

Mother Earth – thank you.  For you, a photo tribute – Happy Earth Day 2012.

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

- Native American Proverb

Photo:  Kayaking near Cobden, Ontario.  We are so lucky to have such a wealth of beauty and nature – it is ours to protect.

The wealth of the nation is its air, water, soil, forests, minerals, rivers, lakes, oceans, scenic beauty, wildlife habitats and biodiversity… that’s all there is. That’s the whole economy. That’s where all the economic activity and jobs come from. These biological systems are the sustaining wealth of the world.

Gaylord Nelson

Photo:  Horse riding in Chile, near Pucon.

There is a great need for the introduction of new values in our society, where bigger is not necessarily better, where slower can be faster, and where less can be more.

Gaylord Nelson

The beauty of Lake Louise.  Photo taken while cycling across Canada – not only great for the environment, cycling and cycle touring is good for the body, mind and soul.  What are you doing for Earth Day?

Photo taken while hiking in the Everest region.  I was so sad to hear that the increasing number of tourists and mountaineers to the region was creating such levels of litter (World’s highest garbage dump).  Remember – take only photos, leave only footprints.  Pack out your garbage.

Calm and soothing greens of nature, and the relaxing sounds of the Caribbean Sea reaching the shore.  Photo taken in Jamaica.

The power of mother nature is impressive, but we are resilient.  This palm tree, uprooted by a hurricane, perseveres.  Photo from Antigua.

Getting out, enjoying the land – hiking up above the beaches in Antigua.

Nature’s bounty – fruit stand at the Mercat de la Boqueria in Barcelona, Spain.  Eat local – the benefits are plentiful.

There would be very little point in my exhausting myself and other conservationist themselves in trying to protect animals and habitats if we weren’t at the same time raising young people to be better stewards.

- Dr. Jane Goodall Primatologist, ethologist and anthropologist

I hope you have enjoyed my tribute to Mother Earth for Earth Day 2012.  I know how lucky I am to be able to participate in so many wonderful activities and enjoy the great outdoors and the bounty of the earth.  It is through the actions of many that we are able to protect and preserve the earth, and the actions of few where it can all be lost.

April 22, 2012.  What will  you do for Earth Day?

34 thoughts on “Photo Tribute to Mother Earth: Earth Day 2012

1. Beautiful photos, Anita. Happy Earth Day!

Posted by Jane Lurie | April 22, 2012, 9:43 am
  2. those are beautiful pics!

Posted by terry1954 | April 22, 2012, 9:45 am
  3. beautiful tribute and photos ♥

Posted by Photography by Gisele Morgan | April 22, 2012, 9:58 am
  4. Happy Earth Day! I’m working on a special post myself. There’s so much to appreciate, passionately; so much beauty, so much to respect. Hard to encapsulate in words and pictures, but you have a great range represented here!

Posted by scillagrace | April 22, 2012, 10:02 am
    • Thanks. That was what I was going for! We are so lucky to have so much natural beauty – we need to remember and appreciate it every day, not just Earth Day. The Earth has been entrusted to us – we need to do our best to preserve her! Happy Earth Day.

Posted by Anita Mac | April 22, 2012, 10:08 am
  5. That palm tree is quite the little trooper, isn’t it? I had to smile when I saw your inital caption. The shirt I wore when for the photograph I chose for the back of my books has the same caption on it, with the exeception of ‘children’ instead of ‘ancestors’ in the text. It is very true. This would be a good day to boycott Monsanto, don’t you think? Here’s to our beautiful planet… I hope she survives mankind! :)

Posted by orples | April 22, 2012, 11:21 am
  6. Amazing photos!

Posted by Elena | April 22, 2012, 2:54 pm
  7. Great post and a wonderful reminder of the beauty of this planet. Makes it hard not to love mother earth! :-)

Posted by f-stop mama | April 22, 2012, 5:36 pm
  8. Awesome photos Anita!

Posted by Ian Spagnolo | April 22, 2012, 6:28 pm
  9. Anita, this is a gorgeous photo tribute.
    It is a most spectacular world we live in. Thank you!

Posted by drawandshoot | April 22, 2012, 7:51 pm
  10. Great Post – Happy Earth Day!!!

Posted by cravesadventure | April 22, 2012, 8:03 pm
  11. Breathtaking photos, Anita. I feel privileged that you share them with us. They should be available somewhere as cards or posters. x

Posted by spainandme | April 23, 2012, 9:55 am
  12. We are stewards of a wonderous place as you have shown here.

Posted by PC PHOTO | April 23, 2012, 10:32 am
  13. You have posted some wonderful photos and some words of wisdom. Thank you!

Posted by Robin Jean Marie | April 25, 2012, 8:18 am
  14. I like that proverb.

Posted by themofman | April 26, 2012, 9:38 pm
  15. Beautiful tribute to Mother Earth. :)

Posted by Robin | April 27, 2012, 5:08 pm
  16. Beautiful post! You’re truly an inspiration!

Posted by ashleypaige4 | April 30, 2012, 10:05 am
  17. “take only photos, leave only footprints”.. I LOVE THAT! Happy Earth Day, A!

Posted by GQ | April 22, 2013, 2:40 pm

1. Pingback: Monday Morning Series: Sunset over the Adriatic, Croatia | Travel Destination Bucket List - April 22, 2013