Europe, Spain

Casa Batlló – Gaudi’s Architectural Masterpiece, Barcelona

A must see – Casa Batllo in Barcelona – a Gaudí architectural masterpiece.  His work is inspiring, almost theatrical in appearance, and inspired by nature.  To walk through the rooms and terraces of the Batlló house, listen to the information provided on the audio tour is to be inspired by the creative genius that is Gaudí .

Having spent the morning pounding the pavement in Barcelona, followed by a late tapas lunch in the sun, I made the mistake of going back to the hotel for a rest before my final night in Barcelona.  My two friends headed off to visit Casa Batlló - a stunning example of Gaudí’s distinctive architectural style.  A few glances through their photos and I knew I had made a mistake – I had to rectify and go see for myself!  Casa Batlló was a museum not to be missed.

Built between 1904 and 1906 for a wealthy Barcelona Aristocrat on the well to do Passeig de Gracia,  Gaudí’s work represents the Catalan Modernista movement.  Influenced by nature, you can pick up on the motion of waves and use of colours to maximize light.  His creative genius and attention to detail enthralled me as I perused the many layers of the house, each room with a story to tell.

To maximize on lighting, houses in that era were built with a light well – a large skylight pooling light down through the many stories of the building.  Gaudí enlarged the light well and covered the walls entirely in relief glazed tiles in varying shades of blue, darker tiles at the top, growing increasingly lighter towards the bottom.  The effect – an even distribution of the light. The windows are smaller higher up where more natural light can enter, and become larger as you move towards the lower floors. Below the windows there are wooden slits which can be opened and closed to ensure good air flow and ventilation. In the middle of the light well Gaudi installed an elevator which still functions today.

During his student days, Gaudí attended craft workshops where he learned the basic aspects of architectural techniques, including sculpture, carpentry, wrought ironwork, stained glass, ceramics and plaster modelling.  He learned to integrate into his technique the use of iron and reinforced concrete in construction. Gaudí’s view of architecture as a multifunctional design, in which every single detail in an arrangement has to be harmoniously made and well-proportioned is so very evident throughout his accomplished career and throughout Casa Batllo.

Gaudí was also an innovator in the realm of craftsmanship, conceiving new technical and decorative solutions with his materials. He designed stunning ceramic mosaics made of broken pieces from Palma de Mallorca. His influence can be seen throughout Barcelona.

His work is outstanding – the colour and mastery of his craft inspiring.  Visually stimulating, a tour through Gaudí’s Casa Batllo is worth the time and effort.  Be sure to take the audio tour, included in the cost of entry, as there is so much fascinating detail as you make your way through his masterpiece.  I visited the exhibit for close to 1 1/2 hours, but would have gladly spent more time if my friends had not been waiting for me.  If time is on your side, visit other works by Gaudí – I know I will be back to do the same.

For more examples of Modernista architecture in Barcelona, including works not done by Gaudi, Urban Travel Blog has written about 5 Modernista marvels in Barcelona not create by Gaudi.

Casa Batlló – Gaudi’s Architectural Masterpiece, Barcelona.

Only a 15 minute walk away, we stayed at the Hotel Lloret on Barcelona’s famous La Rambla.

45 thoughts on “Casa Batlló – Gaudi’s Architectural Masterpiece, Barcelona

1. This is so cool looing. Thank you for sharing these photos

Posted by blisstravelsnews | April 13, 2012, 9:31 am
  2. What a Spectular Place – great photos – thanks for sharing! Have a Great Weekend!

Posted by cravesadventure | April 13, 2012, 1:46 pm
  3. i loved this building in Barcelona! it seems like if it wasn’t for Gaudi there wouldn’t be Barcelona! haha

Posted by Mina Mahrous | April 13, 2012, 1:58 pm
  4. Thanks for popping in to my blog. I’m loving your posts on Barcelona – it’s one of my favourite cities and I’m heading over there next month for a long weekend. Can’t wait!!

Posted by mikanqueen | April 13, 2012, 2:49 pm
  5. fab collection of pictures..;)

Posted by cobbies69 | April 13, 2012, 4:29 pm
  6. Gorgeous photos!

Posted by Observing Owl | April 13, 2012, 5:55 pm
  7. Amazing stuff….thank you for sharing. Although the greatest concentration of Gaudí is in Barcelona, you won’t be surprised to hear that there are many other examples of his work scattered about the country, but much less known.

Posted by Frank Burns | April 13, 2012, 6:18 pm
    • You are so right – I see his influence in so many places. Just last night, we were walking to a restaurant back at home (Canada) and I saw garden ornaments that were a reflection of Gaudi’s creativity. Not sure if the owner was even aware or just saw them in a store and liked the way they looked. I think it is amazing to see the influence so far away!

Posted by Anita Mac | April 14, 2012, 8:48 am
  8. a must for sure! and we did not have time when we were in Barcelona. it’s definitely on the list for next time tho. Love the pics, especially that window surrounded in blue. Fabulous!! I need to come back and check out your blog a little more later on. right now, it’s time for yoga!

Posted by tobyo | April 14, 2012, 10:23 am
  9. Looks great – thanks for sharing!

Posted by Stefan | April 14, 2012, 3:04 pm
  10. I was surprised by how much I loved Casa Batlo! And all the other modernist buildings!

Posted by Madhu | April 16, 2012, 10:49 am
  11. What stunning photos!

Posted by tincantraveler | April 16, 2012, 7:30 pm
  12. You did a fantastic job on the shoot. Gaudi is one of my favorite architects.. :-)

Posted by eof737 | April 16, 2012, 11:45 pm
  13. Amazing photos. The colour and composition is superb. Love Gaudi!

Posted by spainandme | April 20, 2012, 10:33 am
  14. Lovely pictures that capture Gaudi’s style well, Anita! Like you, I loved my time in Barcelona – I was there back in 2003. I wonder how the Sagrada Família has grown since then?

Posted by Tricia A. Mitchell | April 21, 2012, 12:27 pm
  15. I went to Barcelona for work for a week and loved it. The beautiful organic feeling that Gaudi planted amongst the city is a direct reflection of the people there I think. I remember one night listening to gypsy jazz in the old city until the small hours and then going to an electro club until 7am – just awesome. Glad you’re having a good time there too!

Posted by Charlie | April 22, 2012, 9:57 am
  16. Wow! hope I get to see them too, before I die, ahaha. ^^ Seriously, the design are meticulous and their colors are vibrant. I used to be rather interested in Spanish culture but couldn’t quite master the language… Hope to visit Barcelona and Madrid before I get old, old. ;) Thank you for sharing this. Cheers!

Posted by 35andupcynicismonhold | April 26, 2012, 5:46 am
  17. The architecture in Barcelona is stunning. Photos are awe inspiring. I’d love to Pin some of these with your blessing.

Posted by annmariedavidson | April 26, 2012, 1:37 pm
  18. My goodness, this is gorgeous! I love the picture of it at night! Thanks for sharing these!

Posted by ashleypaige4 | April 30, 2012, 10:09 am
  19. Thanks for the information! We will be in Barcelona later this summer and will definitely go! So glad I found you!

Posted by lifetart | May 10, 2012, 9:43 pm
  20. one of the most incredible architecture i had evr seen in my life…so beautiful that i can’t take my eyes off…i wish i can visit there and see how nice it is…

Posted by marymae | October 6, 2012, 8:47 am
    • It was very cool! Would love to find more Gaudi – saw a gorgeous palace by him in Astorga along the Camino de Santiago – but it paled in comparison to Casa Batllo – what an amazing example of his work!

Posted by Anita Mac | October 6, 2012, 1:30 pm

1. Pingback: The colours of Casa Batllo « Shutter bug - April 14, 2012

2. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey « Shutter bug - April 15, 2012

3. Pingback: Hotel Lloret, La Ramblas Barcelona, Spain: Hotel Review | traveldestinationbucketlist - April 18, 2012

4. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Blue « Shutter bug - May 17, 2012

5. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside « Shutter bug - July 25, 2012

6. Pingback: Albergues and Hotels on the Camino de Santiago (Burgos to Astorga) « traveldestinationbucketlist - October 21, 2012

7. Pingback: WordPress Photo Challenge: Geometry « Shutter bug - November 5, 2012