Europe, Spain

Stimulating the Senses at the Mercat de la Boqueria, Barcelona

Halfway down La Rambla, stimulating the senses – Barcelona’s Mercat de la Boqueria is a see to believe market.  The volume of people is out of this world – literally wall to wall.  I found it a challenge to photograph the food stalls and get a sense of the place as people, crammed in like sardines, shuffled past the stalls selling amazing produce, hand crafted chocolates and a myriad of other flavours.  For a lover of fresh food – my senses went into overdrive!  The colours, the smells and the hub of activity enough to make me want to come back for more.  To hear the vendors calling above the crowds to the locals who were out to buy their produce – the sounds were like a song, the calls wafting above the sounds of the crowds.

Originally a travelling market, the open air la Boqueria in Rambla de Sant Josep was inaugurated on October 18th, 1827.  In 1914, the market began to modernize, including the introduction of a metal roof, and has continued to develop, becoming a must experience for tourists visiting the area.  Steeped in history, the Boqueria is a market of the people, for the people, with popular traditions, celebrations and strong family ties.

For me, there was no kitchen, I had moved to a hotel room in Barcelona, and cooking was no longer an option.  With more time, I may have considered looking into the Boqueria Food School – surely a great opportunity to experience that which the market has on offer.

In a quiet street tucked in behind the market, I enjoyed a selection of quiet tapas and a glass of wine.  So close to the market, the stuffed peppers were devine – fresh as can be and full of flavour.  With no opportunity to cook for myself, I was happy to sit and sample the market offerings, watching the restauranteurs run back from the market, arms full of savoury treats, knowing full well that the food I was being served came straight from the vendors only meters away.

Delight in the sights and sounds, smell the flavours – the Mercat de la Boqueria in Barcelona will certainly stimulate the senses as you wander the stalls and soak in the energy that is Barcelona.

Only a couple minutes walking distance from le Mercat de la Boqueria, we stayed at the Hotel Lloret for the weekend in Barcelona.

Related Links:

19 thoughts on “Stimulating the Senses at the Mercat de la Boqueria, Barcelona

1. Great photos. I know the market well. Its visual impact stops you in your tracks, and the mass of people tells you its the place to be. And when you step out onto Las Ramblas……well that’s a story in itself.

Posted by Frank Burns | April 11, 2012, 1:18 pm
    • Thanks – it was such fun to be there – would love to actually have had a kitchen and the chance to buy the fresh produce! Loved Las Ramblas – had a cute little hotel room not far from the Boqueria.

Posted by Anita Mac | April 11, 2012, 7:15 pm
  2. gorgeous photos… love them :)

Posted by 2 Rivers Photos | April 11, 2012, 1:20 pm
  3. Reblogged this on All About Travel.

Posted by Anje Vela | April 11, 2012, 4:49 pm
  4. Wonderfully warm and rich photos.

Posted by Say Gudday | April 11, 2012, 4:53 pm
  5. Great photos – thanks for sharing! Have a Great Day:)

Posted by cravesadventure | April 11, 2012, 5:19 pm
  6. Amazing photographs, Anita! I almost feel like I’m there– everything looks so vibrant and colourful! :)

Posted by Dana | April 12, 2012, 1:01 pm
  7. Fab photos! I can still taste our amazing breakfast at Pinoxo’s inside the Boqueria!

Posted by Madhu | April 12, 2012, 4:26 pm
  8. Thanks for liking my post :). I love this one…La Boqueria is one of my favorite spots in Barcelona and your pictures bring back fond memories.

Posted by Karuna Advani | April 21, 2012, 10:44 pm
  9. Thanks for sharing Anita. I’ve just landed in Barcelona today and am looking forward to the sensory overload at Mercat de la Boqueria. It all looks so yummy!

Posted by Nic Freeman | May 7, 2012, 2:16 pm

1. Pingback: The colours of Casa Batllo « Shutter bug - April 14, 2012

2. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey « Shutter bug - April 15, 2012

3. Pingback: Hotel Lloret, La Ramblas Barcelona, Spain: Hotel Review | traveldestinationbucketlist - April 18, 2012

4. Pingback: Photo Tribute to Mother Earth: Earth Day 2012 | traveldestinationbucketlist - April 23, 2012

5. Pingback: A weekend in Rochester, NY | Travel Destination Bucket List - July 23, 2013

6. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Fresh | Shutter bug - July 26, 2013