Kayaking, Meandering thoughts

Dreamy Travel Destinations

What constitutes a dreamy travel destination for you?

My plan for travel later this year has been growing strong roots in Baja – a week of kayaking the gorgeous warm waters, sun naturally bleaching my hair and bronzing my skin as I paddle along, lost in thought as I watch the world go by!  Sparkling diamonds of sun reflecting off the water has my mind captivated – I have been talking about this for months.  Last November, the destination was dominated by the question – all-inclusive resort vs the adventure holiday?  My schedule was jam packed at work – the all inclusive won out!  I needed to sit and relax – but by the end of my all-inclusive week, even with outings to the amazing Dunn’s River Falls and an afternoon in Negril, I was anxious to be doing more.

Crystal clear waters of Negril

Fast forward to today and the ever inspiring Globe and Mail Travel section!  Curses to the editors for bombarding me with dreamy travel destinations, great flight advertisings, yet not enough vacation time to do it all!  I was content in my plans of kayaking in Baja when – cover story to the travel section – a story on kayaking in Belize and the wonderful wildlife appeared before my eyes!  Wow – my mind went into overdrive as I remembered my idyllic introduction to Belize – snorkelling in her pristine waters, living for a week on a catamaran – eating fresh seafood on deck as the sun set over the horizon, playing cards by the moonlight….and my first swim with a shark!

photo of a rock lobster in Belize, courtesy of  Traveling Canucks

I was in Belize for the opening of lobster season.  The small group on the boat was surely a sight to behold as the tour operator gave us a spear and sent us off to hunt for our dinner!  We set off in search of lobster – who knew those little guys could swim so fast!  Try as we might – we came up empty handed.  Thank goodness for the crew – dinner was not lost as he surfaced with lobster for everyone.  (Many thanks to Traveling Canuks for their lobster photo – check out their blog article about snorkelling in Belize – the photos alone are enough to inspire me to go back!)

Looks like it is time to go back to the drawing board – with so many dreamy destinations to choose from – how will I ever decide!

Links:

Amberly McAteer, author of the fateful Globe Travel article, has recommended Island Expeditions.

In the Maya Mountains of Southern Belize, our adventures offer river kayaking,hikingcavingMayan ruinscultural interaction, wildlife spotting, and excellent photography.

Friends have recommended Black Feather to me – I have toyed with the idea of their trip to Baja for years – will this year be the year?

photo credit: Black Feather.

Baja, Mexico is the perfect destination for winter kayaking. Leave the cold behind and enjoy the tropical weather of Mexico while experiencing kayaking like never before. Our winter kayak trips in Baja, Mexico include immersing yourselves in some of the most alluring surroundings that Mexico has to offer, including beautiful rock formations, gorgeous blue seas, and majestic gray whales. Swimming with sea lions, exploring the beautiful white sand beaches, discovering the numerous coves and islands; all while surrounding yourself with hundreds of exotic animal species makes these winter kayak trips in Baja, Mexico a truly remarkable and memorable experience.

Costa Rica is also high on my list – I don’t even know where to begin!

I have so many different dreamy vacation buckets and lists – but for now, my criteria for a dreamy November holiday include sun, warm water and activity!  It will be time to escape before winter sets in, recharge my batteries after a busy year, and get ready for the new year which will only be weeks away!  It will be a tough choice.  I will only have 10 days – where would you go?  What constitutes a dreamy travel destination for you?

24 thoughts on “Dreamy Travel Destinations

1. Beautiful and would love to be there right now!

Posted by cravesadventure | March 10, 2012, 12:19 pm
    • Me too!!! November seems so far away! I am hoping to try a little Mediterranean kayaking this spring! The water won’t be the same as the Caribbean at this time of year – but I can’t wait to get out!

Posted by Anita Mac | March 11, 2012, 10:21 am
  2. Gorgeous water –honestly reminds me of the Mediterranean, not the Caribbean!

Posted by blisstravelsnews | March 10, 2012, 12:24 pm
  3. Those photos are calling me to go south…. I love to kayak and the appeal of the sun and sand is hard to resist. My dream destination is Brazil. I dream of travelling up the Amazon River in a very small cruise boat.
    This year however, I am planning a roadtrip to to Newfoundland and Labrador. Quite the other extreme.

Posted by Maggie L R | March 10, 2012, 1:54 pm
    • Oh – Newfoundland and Labrador – how exciting! Spent a weekend in Newfoundland last year (city only) and dream of getting back out there! Have a most wonderful trip! Can’t wait to read about it!

Posted by Anita Mac | March 11, 2012, 10:23 am
  4. Those are dreamy! I wish I was swimming in any one of those bodies of waters right now!

Posted by Annette | Bucket List Journey | March 10, 2012, 7:13 pm
  5. Spring break has arrived here, I would love to explore the places you have shown in this post. Anywhere with warm breezes and water works for me.

Posted by PC PHOTO | March 12, 2012, 6:57 pm
  6. I’ve never kayaked but its something I’ve always wanted to try. The water looks so serene…so beautiful. Wherever you decide, I’m sure you’ll have a fantastic time.

Posted by Laura Leigh Goyer | March 13, 2012, 3:13 am
    • Kayaking is such a great way to get out and enjoy the outdoors. I find it very peaceful – I can hardly contain my excitement for when I travel south – Baja and Belize – still can’t decide!

Posted by Anita Mac | May 11, 2012, 4:25 pm
  7. Your dreamy travel destination sounds wonderful. :)

I just finished making all the arrangements for my dreamy travel destination this year. I have always wanted to visit Maine (in the U.S.) and the Eastern Canadian Provinces. Because of time constraints I won’t get to see and do everything I want to see and do, but it’s a start. I have plenty of hiking and biking planned because this is one of those destinations where I want to be on the go.

Posted by Robin | March 13, 2012, 4:12 pm
  8. I am planning to take my kids on a Kayaking holiday to Croatia at some point! My 9 year old is already taking lessons, and I plan to start soon too. This looks amazing. I think my dreamiest destination to date was the Maldives!

Posted by Emma's Bucket List | March 13, 2012, 5:53 pm
  9. They sound incredible. Have you made a decision?

Posted by Smith | June 13, 2012, 1:01 pm

1. Pingback: A Day on the Tay « Shutter bug - May 29, 2012

2. Pingback: Bucket list #1 « traveldestinationbucketlist - July 10, 2012

3. Pingback: Monday Morning Series: Kayak Certification at Meech Lake | Travel Destination Bucket List - May 20, 2013