Around Ottawa, Weekend Getaways

Colours of Winterlude

Winterlude festivities are well underway with amazing conditions for all the fun.  The colours of Winterlude are everywhere – from the brightly coloured lollipops to the brilliant winter jackets and mitts – this winter time festival is alive with all the colours of the rainbow!  Time to get out for a skate!

Who could resist the colourful confectionary of the traditional lollipop….

however, Disney and Scooby Doo may be more up your alley….

A Canadian tradition – who can resist maple taffy on snow!  It’s so sticky and sweet, and oh so good…. we used to go to the sugar bush as kids to see how maple syrup was made – but the best part was always when we got to eat the freshly made taffy – very much a Canadian tradition in these parts!  If you are looking for maple taffy at Winterlude, head over to Confederation Park – grab a stick and dig in!

Besides the ice sculptures, there are some interesting Canadiana sculptures on display.  Check out the homage to hockey and winter.  Here’s a bright shot taken of the Mitten Mountain, also on display at Confederation Park.

What colours will you bring to Winterlude?

For more posts on Winterlude:

Winterlude

16 thoughts on “Colours of Winterlude

1. nice photo’s and traditions…

Posted by cobbies69 | February 10, 2012, 10:03 am
  2. Nice shots.

I am curious about one thing . . . the watermark across the front.

I am very protective of my photographs, and usually put a small CC in the corner along with my name. But my primary concern is to show off the work (amateurish as it may be) as best as I can.

I’m wondering if you’ve had problems in the past with photographs being “appropriated” by others, and hence the reason for the somewhat intrusive watermark.

Please, don’t take it as criticism; I’m just curious as to the practices of different photographers.

ejd

Posted by disperser | February 10, 2012, 11:21 am
    • Totally a fair question. To be honest – i don’t have a good answer. If you go back through my posts, you will see a variety of watermark styles. At first I was able to make it very pale and unintrusive. Then the watermark program crashed and I had tonnes of problems with it. Have been able to get it up and running again – did not even notice that it was intrusive. My photos come from iPhoto without the watermarks – get exported and then marked. By the time I add them to the post, it is only a thumbnail. I guess when I look at the posts, in my mind, I still see the original picture. I have noticed that I get a number of views based on image search – that is why I changed the mark to show the web address. I am pleased that my photography skills are developping and am happy to share. I hope the water mark isn’t taking away from other people’s enjoyment – that us not the intent. Perhaps it is time to look again to improve it

Posted by Anita Mac | February 10, 2012, 11:49 am
  3. The pictures capture the mood of the festivities… great photos :)

Posted by 2 Rivers Photos | February 10, 2012, 12:04 pm
  4. Thanks for sharing some pops of colors! Have a Great Weekend:)

Posted by cravesadventure | February 10, 2012, 2:29 pm
  5. Mmm….those lollies look so good!

Posted by Michelle | February 11, 2012, 12:50 am
  6. candy has never looked so good…

Posted by wolfsrosebud | February 11, 2012, 10:10 am
  7. I couldn’t agree more – the lollipops were so fun to photograph – and with so many flavours to choose – I really wanted one! Couldn’t bite into Scooby Doo though!

Posted by Anita Mac | February 11, 2012, 10:15 am
  8. I remember the taste of maple on the snow. It reminds me of childhood. Thanks.

Posted by living4bliss | February 11, 2012, 12:50 pm
  9. LOL, whenever I see ice skates, I think back on my efforts. All I could manage were banged up knees and worn out pants. I do love watching others that have mastered the art though. Thanks for jogging the old memory bank. ;)

Posted by orples | February 13, 2012, 11:37 am

1. Pingback: Wrought Iron in Ottawa « Shutter bug - February 10, 2012

2. Pingback: 2012 – Year in Photos Part 1 « Shutter bug - December 31, 2012

3. Pingback: Photo Essay: deserted railway bridge across the Ottawa River | Shutter bug - April 7, 2013