Around Ottawa, Canada, Live the photo

Live The Photo: Inukshuk on the Ottawa River

Live the Photo:  Inukshuk on the Ottawa River

Background

The Inukshuk – representing Northern Hospitality and friendship – can be any configuration of natural stone, generally balanced on each other.  The Inuit used the monuments, built in the likeness of a human, as a means of survival and communication.    Often used for navigation, they may also used as a marker or memorial for a beloved person.  The Inukshuks are built by whatever stones are at hand – the arrangement of the stones significant for navigation, or if made without arms, as a marker for a cache of food.  The Inukshuk represents the Inuit and is a symbol of their homeland.  It also became a well known symbol of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics.

The Inukshuks on the Ottawa River, the “Art of Balance”, is an original artistic project of John Ceprano.  Looking for something that inspired him, John has been building these sculptures since 1986, and they have become known around the world.  It has become a place of significance for many, a meeting place and inspiration for the many photographers and painters who set up along the shoreline every summer.  His sculptures are naturally dismantled by the rising and freezing of the river every winter.  No tools are used to create his monuments – everything is perfectly balanced naturally.

Getting There

From Ottawa, take the Ottawa River Parkway heading West.  Parking is at Remic Rapids.  You can also walk, bike or rollerblade from downtown, following the scenic bike path along the Ottawa River.  From Gatineau, cross the Champlain Bridge, heading East on the Ottawa River Parkway, turn left to turn into parking at Remic Rapids.

Links and Info

Ceprano Rock Arts article, published in the Ottawa Citizen November 15, 2011

AnitaMacPhotos – more photos from my outing to see the Inukshuks.

16 thoughts on “Live The Photo: Inukshuk on the Ottawa River

1. These would be a pleasure to photograph; thanks for sharing them with us!!

Posted by Steve | January 19, 2012, 10:06 am
  2. When we hike sometimes there is a stack of rocks that someone started and sometimes I will find one and add to it. Loving the post – Thanks for sharing!

Posted by cravesadventure | January 19, 2012, 12:15 pm
  3. Ottawa is my favourite city. I have done several half-marathon walks there because it is such a beautiful place, you forget you’re working hard. These photos are wonderful and show another (quirky) side to this great city.

Posted by Paula Turner | January 19, 2012, 8:33 pm
  4. I had to stare it for long time – I love it.

Happy week-end!

Posted by Sartenada | January 20, 2012, 10:15 am
  5. This sculpture is so interesting! Thanks for sharing. I love art in nature.

Posted by BalanceDeb | January 24, 2012, 9:41 am
  6. Great work – again!

Posted by The Hook | January 25, 2012, 12:01 pm
  7. Hi there. Love the blog. As an Aussie in Ottawa you have great info here.
    By the way, the link to the Ottawa Citizen article isn’t working above. I have a post on the same rock art on my blog – http://wp.me/p27qLp-W

Posted by nicolegodwin | April 25, 2012, 5:14 pm

1. Pingback: Daily Photo Challenge: Letter I « Shutter bug - February 28, 2012

2. Pingback: Great Kid-Friendly Bike Routes: Biking the Ottawa River to Remic Rapids | Ontario Travel Blog - August 17, 2012

3. Pingback: How do I get to Parliament? The long way « Life's a trip - October 14, 2012

4. Pingback: Welcome to Summer – a photo essay from Canada’s Capital Region | Travel Destination Bucket List - June 21, 2013