Prague

Soaking up the Christmas Markets in Prague

Sight, sound, taste and smell – all the senses were buzzing as I wandered the Christmas Markets in Prague, soaking it all in!  I couldn’t get enough – the Old Time Square in Prague was my drug – I was hooked.

Christmas markets go back to the late middle ages in Germanic countries – Dresden being the first in 1434.  The markets are generally held in town squares, as is the case in Prague’s Old Town Square Market (Staroměstské náměstí).  Wenceslas Square, once a horse market, is also home to one of Prague’s Christmas Markets, however my favourite by far was the Old Town Square – Wenceslas Square felt so much more commercial with the pedestrian walk surrounded by loud, trendy stores.  It just didn’t have the same atmosphere.

Old Town Square

The dark gothic skyline was glowing from the lights radiating from the Christmas wonderland in the square.  The lights twinkling in the evening light, the glow from the charcoal bbqs roasting chestnuts – a feast for the eyes.  The smell of hot mulled wine (svařák), sausages sizzling on the bbqs and trudl0 – a cinnamon encrusted delight tantalizing the tastebuds – how could anyone resist?  The centrepiece to all the sensory overload – a giant Christmas tree with sparkling lights cascading and dancing in the evening sky.  The tree is shipped in from the Krkonose Mountains – must have been quite the sight to see that giant unloaded in the square.

The markets, which run from 4 Saturdays before advent to January 1st, were always busy.  Throughout the square, little wooden huts, decorated and lit up in true Christmas fashion, sold goodies of all sorts to locals and tourists alike!    Traditional craft and Christmas items were sold along side the hot wine and trudlo, pork products of all kinds – from a ham on a spit to sausages, and potatoes with ham and cheese (the ultimate in cold weather comfort food) to pancakes.  A large stage next to giant Christmas tree was alive with music, entertaining the masses and spreading more Christmas cheer (hard to believe more cheer was even possible, and yet – every day, they managed to take it up a notch!)

Through the centre of the market, horse and carriages were ready to take you on the ultimate romantic view of the city, wrapped in blankets as the clippity-clop of the horses hooves rang out between the ancient buildings.  For the kids – a live animal stable and an activity centre – there really is something for everyone at the Prague Christmas Markets.  The market was like a dream – it was all I could do to soak it all in before leaving!

For more posts stories on my time in Prague, click on the Prague link in TravelDestinationBucketList.  There are also more photos from the daily photo postings at AnitaMacPhotos.

25 thoughts on “Soaking up the Christmas Markets in Prague

1. What a great trip! Thanks for sharing

Posted by maryduranteyoutt | January 9, 2012, 3:09 pm
  2. Looks like a great place to visit and wander, with lots of photo ops too! Cheers!

Posted by Steve | January 9, 2012, 4:02 pm
  3. Oh, the Old Town Square market looks beautiful. (And the description of the food available made my stomach growl!) :)

Posted by Susie C. | January 11, 2012, 7:35 pm
  4. Too cool, x-mas in Prague must be an experience..:-))

Posted by Ed | January 13, 2012, 8:37 am
  5. I love how you captured the atmosphere and love the colors in these shots :)

Posted by happysherlock | January 15, 2012, 9:37 am
  6. Looks like a cute and cozy market. I love the picture with the heart shaped cookies :-)

Posted by whatevermakesyousmile | January 16, 2012, 2:54 pm
  7. Old Town Square certainly does look different around Christmas! That must have been a wonderful experience. Lovely photography. The market looks similar to the ones I saw when in Berlin which I found enchanting. Glad to see you had a similar experience. Part of me would love is we had Christmas markets like these in Ireland but I think if we did, I wouldn’t have appreciated it as much.

Posted by shallowpocketslucy | January 17, 2012, 8:37 am
  8. I’m going to Prague this April! I hope can also visit Prague during Christmas one day :)

Posted by Anyluckypeny | January 18, 2012, 8:21 pm
    • I imagine Prague would be gorgeous in the spring – do try to go for a wander in the forest and walking trails up past the Prague Castle. There is a fruit orchard up there that would be just gorgeous when all in bloom.

Posted by Anita Mac | January 23, 2012, 2:53 pm
  9. I love Your photos. Christmas markets are very beautiful in Central Europe.

I think that nobody ever thought that in Finland we have nice ones also:

Christmas Markets in Helsinki.

Happy week-end!

Posted by Sartenada | January 20, 2012, 10:22 am
  10. Great post! Prague is on my bucket list and I will be returning for more:-)

Posted by Madhu | January 23, 2012, 9:42 am
  11. Beautiful shots!

Posted by The Hook | January 25, 2012, 1:52 pm
  12. The Christmas markets looks so colorful and enticing! :-)

Posted by catbirdinoman | December 27, 2012, 11:42 pm

1. Pingback: Guest Blogger: Anita from Travel Destination Bucket List « Bound for Adventure - January 19, 2012

2. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Down « Shutter bug - February 18, 2012

3. Pingback: Monday Morning Series – Prague | traveldestinationbucketlist - May 29, 2012

4. Pingback: The Golden Wheel, Prague: Hotel Review « traveldestinationbucketlist - June 5, 2012

5. Pingback: Prague’s Astronomical Clock « traveldestinationbucketlist - June 6, 2012

6. Pingback: Savouring the flavours of Prague – mulled wine in the winter « traveldestinationbucketlist - July 14, 2012

7. Pingback: 5 zile în Praga, de la 1 leu - October 4, 2012

8. Pingback: Monday Morning Series: Christmas in Prague « traveldestinationbucketlist - November 26, 2012

9. Pingback: Trees of Hope at the Chateau Laurier, Ottawa « traveldestinationbucketlist - December 25, 2012