Adventure, Camino de Santiago, Europe, Meandering thoughts, Spain

Dreaming of the Camino de Santiago

I think I am obsessed – I am now dreaming of walking the Camino de Santiago after first being introduced to it only a few months ago.

It all started with a friend telling me that she and her mother would like to do the trail – or a portion thereof.  She recommended the book by Canadian Julie Kirkpatrick – The Camino Letters: 26 Tasks on the way to Finisterre.  What an inspiration.  I read it on the beach in Jamaica in a day.  Such a tremendous journey of self-discovery, the book was so inspirational, I literally could not put it down.  It was here that I decided I wanted to walk the trail.  The only question was when!

Only a couple days after returning from my holiday, another friend emailed me to tell me about the movie playing at the Bytown Theatre in Ottawa – The Way.  If I wasn’t already convinced about this journey, this movie did it!  The only question is when?

The pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela is close to 800 kms (500 miles), with the most popular route being the Camino Frances.  I have read that many walk between 20 – 25 kms (12-15 miles) per day, and the journey can take 6-8 weeks.  Some do the Camino in stages.

It is still early days – I have yet to do my research and figure out what my journey will be, however the book and the movie were both so compelling, I had an undeniable urge to share!

One of the many quotes from the movie that I loved was when the estranged son, played by Emilio Estevez says “you don’t choose your life, you live one”.  I have always had a sense of wanderlust – a sense of adventure and lust for going to new places, experiencing new cultures.  This summer I bought new hiking boots, and wondered where they would take me – well, I think I have found my answer!

Links for more information about the Camino:

Pilgrimage Publications

Wikipedia

I am dreaming of the Camino de Santiago.  I hope to make this dream a reality.  Buen Camino.

Related post:  Transition Zone

27 thoughts on “Dreaming of the Camino de Santiago

1. Sounds like you’ve found a dream destination; following your dreams will always bring you happiness and adventure! Can’t wait to read about the journey, whenever you get to do it! Cheers!!

Posted by Steve | November 24, 2011, 12:33 pm
  2. Glad you enjoyed the book Anita! My mom and I both really enjoyed it. Now I have to watch “The Way” and get planning as well!

Posted by vickith | November 24, 2011, 2:03 pm
    • So thrilled you suggested it Vicki! I am hoping to do it next year! Have to figure out some big things (namely job, house etc…) but I think this will be an experience not to be missed! Keep in touch if you guys are still interested in doing all or part of the trek!

Posted by Anita Mac | November 24, 2011, 2:11 pm
      • Remember that all it takes sometimes is putting a big X on the calendar and clearing some time …. the rest kinda follows from there. J. xo

Posted by julie Kirkpatrick | April 7, 2012, 9:07 pm
  3. Wanderlust, huh? You too?

Yeah, my fellow vagabond, I totally get you. I was born with wings fastened to my shoes :)

Speaking of shoes, I love your new kicks. You make me want to go do something that reminds me to hit the road again soon.

And you make me want to read that book. The only book I ever read in one day way What French Women Know. Yeah, funny, right? But I was mystified about what they know, haha. It was such a well-written book, I guess. Couldn’t put it down.

I’m going to look into that book you mention.

Posted by Ashe Vagabond of the Vagabond Express | November 24, 2011, 2:05 pm
    • It was so hard to replace my old boots – they started out in Lake Placid around 1988-ish! Wow, do they have some memories! Earlier this year my feet started to tell me that it was time to hit the road again. It took me a while to pick out my new Keen’s (love the name – Keen, just like me!). Now it is time to hit the road and create some great new memories. I hope you love the Camino Letters as much as I did. Who knows, maybe we’ll see eachother on the trail!

Posted by Anita Mac | November 24, 2011, 2:10 pm
  4. very nice :)

Posted by pressitblog | November 24, 2011, 3:11 pm
  5. Whats a life without dreams? Nice post! Keep up the great writing.

Posted by hereandthere40_Lucas Rokosz | November 24, 2011, 5:37 pm
  6. sounds like an amazing goal, and you’ve got the shoes for it! go for it! (i love my keens too :D)

Posted by meredith | November 29, 2011, 7:48 pm
  7. There’s a cd called “Camino” by Oliver Schroer. He recorded it on his walk in 2004. Here’s a clip

I think Julie mentioned it in her book, but can’t remember for sure. Regardless, the music and sounds of Oliver’s walk may spark something for you. I listen to it constantly. Constantly.

Posted by deb reynolds | November 30, 2011, 11:15 am
  8. It was such a pleasure stumbling across this post of yours and all the Camino references. I’m only just starting to read up on it now and plan to do it in May next year as part of my big European adventure. The more I read, the more I can’t wait to go. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by Nic Freeman | December 5, 2011, 3:22 pm
  9. I also heard about the Camino in the past year and it is on my list! I’ll follow your blog so I can see when you plan on it…maybe I’ll be there at the same time!

Posted by Travel Spirit | December 9, 2011, 8:22 am
  10. The Camino is a great trip, and you can travel it on foot, by bike or by more modern forms of transport. It’s also interesting just to dot on and off it. My favourite parts are the monastery at Roncevalles on the Spanish border in the Pyrenees and Santiago de Compostela at the end…. but there’s lost to do in between! You could also travel traditionally – on a donkey. See Tim Moore’s hilarious account in “Spanish Steps – Travels with a donkey”.

Posted by mikanqueen | December 19, 2011, 6:30 pm
    • I wondered about travel by bike, but think the traditionalist in me (that sometimes emerges) wants me to walk! I hadn’t thought of the older traditional version – on a donkey!!! Sounds different! Did you do the entire trail? And of course, I must ask – foot? donkey? Or is it possible to do a little of each?

Posted by Anita Mac | December 19, 2011, 6:59 pm
  11. Trust me you don’t need much research…just fly to spain (or france, whatever’s cheaper for you), get to saint jean pied de port and there you go…everything else you need to know will unfold :) and you will find the most helpful people everywhere!
    i didn’t even have a guide book with me :) its a must do!
    (and you might find some answers for your questions on the camino forum http://www.caminodesantiago.me )

Posted by Mina Mahrous | January 26, 2012, 3:34 pm

1. Pingback: Cincinnati Art Museum and The Way | Fabulous at Fifty - December 11, 2011

2. Pingback: Bucket list #1 | traveldestinationbucketlist - February 25, 2012

3. Pingback: A Day on Foot – walking Ottawa’s Greenbelt « Shutter bug - April 16, 2012

4. Pingback: Happy Feet « Shutter bug - July 14, 2012

5. Pingback: On The Road Again « traveldestinationbucketlist - September 2, 2012