Caribbean, Jamaica, travel

Jamaica me happy!

It is official – I am off to Jamaica – very happy with the decision to do the all inclusive!

Going back to the Grand Palladium – had such a good time the first time and loved the resort (click here for a review of the hotel and the food). Some big pluses in my book include the fact that the Grand Palladium is only 30 minutes from the airport – no wasted time on the bus!  The food was top shelf so no worries there and the staff – awesome.  Will be heading back to Sunset Cove for beach time and water sports.  I especially enjoyed the reggae in the evenings!  Dancing on the deck with the breeze coming in off the Caribbean – perfect!  It’s all a dream about to come true again!

Those who know me, know I can’t sit still for long!  Last visit – horse riding with Chukka kept me entertained and very happy. Also worth looking into with this trip – Chukka has zip lining and an ATV safari, I am sure my need for activity will be more than met.

On my Jamaican bucket list for this year is a trip to Dunn’s River Falls…I have heard so many good things from other bloggers and friends who have vacationed in Jamaica.  The waterfalls, approximately 600 feet high, are terraced, making it great for tourists to climb.  You will find me clambering up the limestone staircase, through the falls and no doubt giggling with delight all the way!  (Click here to link to the Dunn’s River Falls experience – it was a blast!)  Happy times ahead.

Rafting on the Martha Brae River on a bamboo raft looks to be another one of those Jamaican experiences to be added to my list. A number of sources suggest the raft ride to be a quintessential part of a Jamaican holiday.

Last time I traveled to Jamaica, I woke to hear on the radio that we were having the first ice storm of the season!  The airport was in a little chaos – flights were delayed as the planes needed to be de-iced and people were missing their connections all over the place.  My connection in Toronto was literally an all out airport dash as I raced to make that flight!  Thankfully, as I was in for a trip of total R&R by myself, all I had was a small carry on bag.  I arrived in Jamaica with all my goodies.  Others on the flight were not so lucky as their bags did not make the connection!

I will be looking for that all in one carry on packing job.  What essentials will I be packing?  For a week on the beach – there is very little I will need.  My list of essentials will include:

2 swim suits + sarong

sunglasses

waterproof camera

reef sandals and 1 pair of nice sandals (for dinner and dancing!)

kayak socks (for climbing Dunn’s River Falls)

2 t-shirts and 1 shorts

2 summer dresses

toiletries (minimal – will buy sunscreen there due to restrictions on airlines for liquids in carry on!)

iPad

2 books

1 beach bag

My list is quite simple!  What can I say …life in Jamaica should be simple.  Jamaica me happy mon!

16 thoughts on “Jamaica me happy!

1. Have an awesome trip and enjoy that great weather. We’re off to Paris in December, and looking forward to that “extravaganza”.

Posted by blisstravelsnews | November 1, 2011, 9:30 am
    • I am so excited to be going back to Jamaica. Definitely what the body and soul needs. Looking forward to hearing about your Christmas in Paris! The floodgates have been opened on travel – I couldn’t imagine anything more wonderful than Paris at Christmas (well, maybe Prague….will have to do both I guess! This year Prague – next year Paris.)

Posted by Anita Mac | November 1, 2011, 1:20 pm
  2. Congrats – sounds like a beautiful place and a great choice for some R&R. I have done Dunn’s River Falls and enjoyed climbing the falls – great experience. We were sent through a market before getting back on the shuttle bus – I did not care for that part of the experience – sorta pushy in trying to sell you things. Have an AMAZING trip!

Posted by cravesadventure | November 1, 2011, 12:30 pm
    • Oh – I am glad you had a good time! I have heard so many good things about it. It is frustrating when they send you through the markets – and I think Jamaica is worse for that than other places I have been. I guess that is the price to pay for such a fun place to go! I have gotten much better at just walking through and ignoring. If something really interests me – I can stop, but it rarely does as I prefer to collect memories over trinkets! I can hardly wait – it will be such great fun.

Posted by Anita Mac | November 1, 2011, 1:18 pm
  3. Glad you decided to do the all inclusive! Well, it really didn’t matter what you’d choose because I mean, come on! you’re in JAMAICA!

Have a wonderful trip and make sure to take lots of pics so the rest of us can realize how jealous we really are! ;)

Posted by Palm Trees & Bare Feet | November 1, 2011, 2:08 pm
  4. Lovely post and thoughts about going to Jamaica. Makes me want to go there myself.

Posted by munchow | November 1, 2011, 6:05 pm
  5. Now that’s travelling light! Have a great trip! Looking forward to the post and pics from this one! Cheers!

Posted by Steve | November 2, 2011, 12:04 am
  6. Please post how your trip went…I went in Sept. 09 and had such a wonderful time I am going back! I will be there 11/5 for my week of relaxation and of course staying at the Grand AGAIN!

Posted by Kim | November 2, 2011, 9:19 am
  7. Enjoy your trip. Makes me ready for our trip to Panama in February.

Posted by f-stop mama | November 3, 2011, 6:36 pm
  8. I leave out at 5am so, if you found something else cool besides chukkas let me know! I am thinking of the party boat myself. If you have done something else that you felt is worthy of going back let me know however, everything there seems worthy of going back! :)

Posted by Kim | November 4, 2011, 11:05 pm
  9. My husband and I went to Dunns River on our honeymoon and it was fabulous! I look forward to see the photos!

Posted by Annette | Bucket List Journey | November 5, 2011, 3:29 pm

1. Pingback: Dunn’s River Falls | traveldestinationbucketlist - November 20, 2011