Adventure, Bucket List, Meandering thoughts, travel

Bucket list #1

Here I go – bucket list #1!  This list changes almost as fast as day turns to night.  I read an article or a blog about a trip or place that excites me, and I want to add it to the list!  At this rate, I will have to live to be 300 and stop work right now.  Needless to say, neither one of these things are going to happen.  I have narrowed my list down to 20 (for now) and will daydream about everything else I would like to add!  Some are more doable than others.  This bucket list is focused on things I would love to do…..

Bucket List #1

1.  Go on an African Safari

(photo from http://www.kenyanvacation.com)

2.  Tandem sky diving

-I just couldn’t bring myself to jump alone!

3.  Go dogsledding in the winter – dream came true January 2013 – check out Dog Sledding: the exhilaration of a day with the dogs

(photo from adventures Boreales)

4.  Hot air balloon ride

(photo from Vancouver Balloon Rides)

5.  Go up the Eiffel Tower

- I know it is a very touristy thing to do, but the Eiffel Tower is such an icon of France – I just have to do it.

6.  Sleep in the Ice Hotel in Quebec

Check out Bound for Adventures post of her experience in an igloo – right up there with the ice hotel!

7.  Ski inn-to-inn in Vermont

8.  Paddle and play in Patagonia

9.  Trek the Gokyo Lakes region of Nepal

10.  Ride my bike around Australia (Sydney to Sydney)

- I have the entire route planned – only issue is finding someone to ride with!  I did across Canada solo, but don’t think I want to tackle Australia on my own.  Never the less, it would be a dream come true to do it!

11.  Sail the Whitsundays in Australia

(photo from http://qldhotels.blogspot.com/2011/04/queenslands-2011-season-of-sailing-off.html)

12.  Walk on the Great Wall of China

13.   Climb Kilimanjaro

- another of the great peaks to climb

14.  Do the Man from Snowy River horse ride in Australia

My sister and I were absolutely horse crazy.  We watched this movie until we knew the words off by heart!  Years later I learned that you can actually do this ride as a tourist in the Snowy River region.  Have been dying to do it ever since!

15.  Climb Uluru/Ayers Rock

16.  Polar Bear Safari in Churchill, Manitoba

17.  Hike the Atlas Mountains

18.  See the fjords in Norway

(photo from Contiki tours)

19.  Kayak in Baja/Belize/Croatia – looking for Dreamy Travel Destinations!

20.  Cycle in Vietnam

21.  Explore Chitwan National Park in Nepal

22.  Hike the Camino de Santiago Trail – very inspiring trek and can’t wait to do it!  More info here for those that are dreaming too!

Can’t wait to get out there and see, do and experience it all!  What would you do first?  Love to hear your top choices – is it on the list or is there something else?

54 thoughts on “Bucket list #1

1. I can only comment on the Parisian experience. But, I have to say that while climbing the Eiffel Tower is “touristy”, it’s also really fun and the views are fabulous! I am in France almost every month with clients, and almost every trip involves at least 1 day in Paris –and that day very often involves some sort of Eiffel Tower visit –whether it’s a champagne toast by the tower, a photography session, a “walk through” or a “cruise by” or whatever —and EACH time we do it, I enjoy it. So much so that when I was there this summer on a few days of vacation, and one of the people I was vacationing with expressed an interest in climbing the tower, we did it. Know what? It was one of the highlights of our day! So, you go girl! It’ll be great. Just remember to add Provence and other French things to your bucket list. You can’t go to France, and only see Paris :)

Posted by blisstravelsnews | October 11, 2011, 8:38 am
    • Thats true… I wished when I was in France that I had went to other provinces as well. But what you gonna do when you have a time constrain right? :) But I must agree with you that paris is really a beautiful place and the Eiffel tower is a must-go.

Posted by jeremytongclimbs | December 9, 2011, 10:31 am
  2. Forces do for your 300 years. So you can reach your Patagonia

Adiós Anita y mucha suerte en cumplir tus viajes programados…

Posted by 1cruzdelsur | October 11, 2011, 9:12 am
  3. I have to agree with #3, #5, & #12 – on my bucket list too. I may just take #3 off my list this winter – have found a company near by and at reasonable price too. I love your bucket list:)

Posted by Renee | October 11, 2011, 11:26 am
    • That is so cool – hope you are able to do the dog sledding this winter! That is my plan too. The Eiffel Tower and China may have to wait as I have opted to go somewhere not on the list – Prague! Very excited.

Posted by Anita Mac | October 20, 2011, 8:29 am
  4. I had no clue there was such thing as an Ice Hotel, thats awesome! Great bucket list!

Posted by adventuresofbrittania | October 11, 2011, 11:39 am
  5. Tremendous bucket list! I like it!! I hope you get the chance to complete each and every one of these.

Posted by Steve | October 11, 2011, 3:01 pm
  6. Great list! I haven’t been able to narrow mine down at ALL…it’s huge! But I posted it on my site here – http://skyaroundtheworld.wordpress.com/bucket-list/

Here’s to hoping we both reach 300 to accomplish it all! :)

Posted by skyaroundtheworld | October 11, 2011, 3:38 pm
  7. 20 items on your list! OMG – I now have plans for now ’til then!

Posted by Peter T | October 11, 2011, 10:27 pm
  8. I created my first bucket list this past winter and have managed to cross a few things off of it already (return to Versailles, see Stonehenge, teach overseas,.. I’m teaching in Kuwait right now), and hope to be able to cross off Egypt this Christmas.

I love your bucket list. I also have a few point on my list concerning Australia. Hope you get to do them all!

Posted by rainnie76 | October 12, 2011, 4:12 am
  9. I love bucket lists- especially other peoples as it always means I can add a couple more ideas to mine!! Quite a few of the things you would like to do are in Australia- sounds like a good reason for a trip downunder. I look forward to your next adventure

Posted by jenny@atasteoftravel | October 12, 2011, 4:30 am
  10. Climbing Kilimanjaro is on my list as well! And you will love a Safari – during my ten week internship in the Karamoja region of Uganda, i went on a petite safari and it was easily one of the best experiences i could have hoped for! I recommend Murchison Falls for hiking/safari-ing! :D

Posted by lizzie mcmizzie | October 13, 2011, 8:50 am
  11. Anita, this list is amazing! You’ve now made me think of things to add to my bucket list. I especially like the Ice Hotel and Tandem Sky Diving. You’re quite the adventurer.

With the cycling Sydney to Sydney, that’s a really great goal! I’m sure you can find someone to do it with you – there’s so many cycling events in Sydney and if you drum up enough interest I think there’d be some people willing to do certain legs of the journey. Keep in mind Australia is a huge country – but that’s half the fun! :)

Posted by mschristiner | October 14, 2011, 8:48 am
    • Thanks Christine. I really hope to do all of them – Sydney to Sydney definitely the toughest! I figure it will take 12 – 14 months (needless to say, I will stop along the way to see and do things!!!) Went across Canada by myself – one of the most amazing things that I have done! Sydney to Sydney would be epic! Have met a number of people who have done it! Will be amazing when it happens! Love your idea of having people join along the way – brilliant! Love meeting new people so would be loads of fun!

Posted by Anita Mac | October 14, 2011, 9:05 am
      • I would love to know more details about your Sydney trip as on my bucket list I have the Great Ocean Rd (though you’ve already been there); perhaps I could plan to go with you; if you still want someone.

Posted by thejessicaness | January 4, 2012, 1:57 pm
  12. I’ve just read on a French news site that the Eiffel Tower has undergone a 25 million euro facelift – hey all of us girls need a little help now and then – including a glass floor! Now may be the time to check it out and for those of us lucky enough to have been there already, time to go back and see her at her finest!

As for the safari, I’m so with you. I’d love to take that trip. I’m also feeling that Egypt is calling as is a hut over the water in Fiji.

A hot air balloon crashed in our backyard once and we never redeemed the free ride coupons the owner gave us for bringing coffee and helping them out. Probably should have, but once you’ve seen one damaged from the descent through the trees, it sort of makes you think twice.

Whatever you decide to do this year – I’m sure it will be loads of fun!

Posted by writingfeemail | October 14, 2011, 8:52 pm
  13. All of those sound pretty amazing – maybe I should start my own bucket list, so that I can plan ahead and do one thing each summer during the holidays once I will finally have become a teacher in a few years…
    Anyways, visiting Skandinavia has been a dream of my own, so I would be very interested in hearing what you have to say about it. The same is true about Australia – so right now I am evaluating your list on a purely egoistical notition of what I would love to do myself one day. So maybe you should just do all the other things and then we can exchange our experiences. :-) Though that might take a few years…
    Whatever you do, I wish you all the best and will be looking forward to your entries about your endeavors.

Posted by myladyphoenix | October 14, 2011, 9:08 pm
  14. the bucket tilts but the list never ends!!!

Posted by PC PHOTO | October 16, 2011, 6:00 pm
  15. great list. i’m afraid to write mine down. much luck, especially with the australian adventures! if only i knew of any aussie cyclists. :)

Posted by Megan | October 17, 2011, 6:45 am
    • Thanks. It was really hard to bring it down to 20 things – so many more pop into my mind all the time! The Australian round trip will definitely be tough – but one I really hope to do. Maybe I will have to break it down by area!

Posted by Anita Mac | October 17, 2011, 8:23 am
  16. Great list! Eiffel Tower is worth it, touristy or not, as is Versailles. African safari was one of the best trips I ever took. Started in Nairobi, then a few days in the Loita Hills, followed by the Masai Mara and East Tsavo National Park and finished in Malindi on the Indian Ocean. You could also include Kilimanjaro on that trip. I only saw it from a small plane. If you make it to Australia, snorkeling or diving the Great Barrier Reef as well as climbing Ayers Rock are must do’s as well. You won’t regret it. Australia was my second best trip.

Sounds like you have many wonderful travel memories to make. Enjoy!

Posted by sandylikeabeach | October 24, 2011, 9:10 pm
  17. Awesome list! It motivates me to really think about putting a list together. There’s so much I’d love to do before I pass away that having a list and over the years being able to check various things off would be so rewarding.

Posted by Shane Byrd | October 27, 2011, 1:42 pm
  18. We have such similar lists! I hope you get to do everything on your list and more!! Who knows maybe we will cross paths someday while bucket listing! My french teacher stayed at the Ice Hotel and she LOVED IT! It is definitely on my places to visit list! Good Luck!!

Posted by pandoratheexplorer | October 29, 2011, 12:25 am
  19. Great list. I’ve wanted to stay in an Ice Hotel for awhile now. It’s definitely on my list too.

Posted by theplaceswevebeen | November 1, 2011, 9:40 am
  20. Great list! I’m excited for your future travels… :)

Posted by Woman | November 6, 2011, 3:57 pm
  21. Love 11! wow! want to do that too! You should try ” Walking with African Lions in the wild! ” when you’re in Zimbabwe or Zambia .. you’re gonna love it!

namaste

el

Posted by EL | January 29, 2012, 9:36 am
  22. Great Bucket List,
    African Safari is fabulous, did ours in the Okavango Delta in Botswana, swam at the top of Victoria Falls, quite an experience looking down over the top, I’d recommend going there…
    Hot Air Balloon ride, fun, but seriously cold feet in the Winter!

As for other adventures,
    1) Cruise to Antarctica, amazing. So close to whales, have penguins pecking at you, amazing vistas, and camping. Simply incredible.
    2) Treking in New Zealand, Stewart Island was a great adventure, hut to hut for 12 days self supported.

Posted by Gerrard Leach | December 5, 2012, 10:19 am
    • Thanks Gerrard….it keeps growing….so many ideas! love the cruise to the Antarctic. I absolutely love the penguins. That up close would be awesome. Thanks for the Safari tip…it can be a challenge to know which one to do as they all sound so brilliant. Wish I could do it in 2013, but I think that is on the 5 year plan. Time will tell. Trekking NZ, on the other hand, that could be doable as pulls to Australia and catching up with friends and family are getting stronger.

Posted by Anita Mac | December 5, 2012, 10:40 am
  23. Dog sledding in the total winter somewhere in Finland for me please!

Posted by My Travel Affairs (@MyTravelAffairs) | December 18, 2012, 7:23 pm
    • Oh…dog sledding in Finland would be even better! I was hoping to give it a try in my region. Fingers crossed no matter where it happens. Have read about it from other people and would love to feel the exhilaration.

Posted by Anita Mac | December 18, 2012, 9:14 pm
  24. It’s true, reading other’s bucket lists only grows your own! No exception with yours. Here is info from our trips to Belize and our African safari in Namibia … both clearly high on our list and checked off in 2009 and 2012.

Belize: http://wifewithbaggage.com/central-america/belize/
    Namibia: http://wifewithbaggage.com/africa/namibia/

Happy Travels … please let me know if I can help you in your planning!
    -Diane

Posted by bdianewilliams | April 8, 2013, 10:11 pm

1. Pingback: Live the photo: Many Beach, Australia « traveldestinationbucketlist - October 19, 2011

2. Pingback: Last minute vacation | traveldestinationbucketlist - November 11, 2011

3. Pingback: Chateau Montebello, Quebec: hotel review | traveldestinationbucketlist - December 9, 2011

4. Pingback: Bucket List #2: Countries | traveldestinationbucketlist - January 3, 2012

5. Pingback: Guest Blog – Chateau Montebello review « sojournwithstacey - January 17, 2012

6. Pingback: A Day on Foot – walking Ottawa’s Greenbelt « Shutter bug - April 16, 2012

7. Pingback: Monday Morning Series: Bucket of Inspiration « traveldestinationbucketlist - January 14, 2013

8. Pingback: Dog Sledding – the exhilaration of a day with the dogs « traveldestinationbucketlist - January 23, 2013

9. Pingback: Dog Sledding in Pictures « Shutter bug - January 25, 2013

10. Pingback: Monday Morning Series: Que Sera, Sera « Travel Destination Bucket List - February 11, 2013