Adventure, Nepal, Pictures from abroad

Nepal: Eternal Fascination

The splendour that is Nepal remains an Eternal Fascination for me.  The mountains and her people, the temples and the rituals.  Two weeks in Nepal was only a taste!

Buddha’s eyes overlooking Swayambhunath in Kathmandu.

Tucked in between India and China, the Kingdom of Nepal is the jewel of the region.  Her majesty and peaks an inspiration to millions who dream of trekking to the region, only a select few able to reach the summit of Everest.  My first, and definitely not to be the last trek to Nepal gave me a magnificent introduction to the country, her culture and her peaks.

I travelled with Peregrine Adventures who took care of everything I could need on my first visit.  I was greeted at the hustle and bustle of Kathmandu airport and taken to their host hotel.  With the rest of the day to myself, I set out into the streets of Kathmandu to explore.  One could describe the streets as nothing short of chaotic.  Cars, buses, motorcycles and rickshaws clambering for the same space!  One must remember that cows are sacred here, and free to roam the streets!  So, if a cow decides to take a wander down the streets of town – well, you can imagine as everyone tries to get around her!

Our tour in Kathmandu included a trip to the Bodhnath Stupa – the largest in Nepal.  This is an area of deep religious significance to the Nepalese, and their customs need to be respected.  One must walk in a clockwise direction when visiting the stupa.  If not travelling with a tour group, afternoons are a good time to visit when the tours leave and Bodhnath returns to normal.

Prayer wheels at the Bodhnath Stuppa.

Take your time to visit and experience the culture.  You will be able to watch the painting of thangkas and the weaving of rugs.

Climbing in the Everest region is nothing short of breathtaking.  Mount Everest, named after Sir George Everest, sits at a stunning 8850 m above sea level and growing.  Travelling with Peregrine Adventures meant that we had all the bests lunch spots and hostels chosen in advance.  We ate like kings and queens, and were introduced to some of the locals.  Our guide pointed out some of the better places to take pictures and shared stories about the region.  We were warned about sharing trail space with yaks – they don’t share so well!  Particularly exciting was meeting and talking with some of the trekkers who were preparing to summit.

My first view of the mighty Everest. The moment is breathtaking.

We spent two nights in Namche Bazaar to help with acclimatization before moving on to the final stop on our way up to the Tengboche Monestary.    We had the privilege to watch the blessing of the climbers in a deeply moving ceremony at the Monestary.  That night over hot tea and dinner, in the cozy warmth of our hostel, our group watched as some young monks used siding to snowboard down the hill.

Namche Bazaar – 3420 m above Sea Level.

Nepal will always hold a place near and dear to my heart.  I look forward to the opportunity to visit again – soak in more of the mountains, trek to regions I have yet to see.  On my first night in the mountains, our group met another group coming down who had climbed in the Gokyo Ri region.  This is definitely on my bucket list for Nepal.  The stories coming from the group were inspiring and tales of the scenery – nothing short of amazing.  I have also been told that a trip out to Chitwan National Park is worth the journey.  That would be bucket list item #2 on my return to Nepal.

Trekking to the Tengboche Monestary, Nepal.

Namaste!  As defined by Mahatma Gandhi: In India when people meet and part they often say, Namaste’ which means: “I honor the place within you where the entire Universe resides; I honor the place within you of love, of light, of truth, of peace; I honor the place within you, where, when you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, there is only one of us.”

Rickshaw driver.

37 thoughts on “Nepal: Eternal Fascination

1. Uhm okay – so when are we going? Do they have cyclo-cross in Nepal? This is on my bucket list as well…

Posted by vickith | September 1, 2011, 5:25 pm
  2. Have backpack, will travel. Hope the stove still works here at sea level – not sure it that’s the one that you want going to those heights :)

Posted by Peter T | September 1, 2011, 11:05 pm
  3. Awesome blog, it’s just like a game for me! It’s so infomative and usefull, thanks a lot! If you post more of this great stuff, I’ll visit your blog again!

Posted by gokkast | September 17, 2011, 2:15 am
  4. Thank you for this piece, I too find Nepal absolutely fascinating! There’s a huge Nepalese community in Sydney, where I currently live and I’ve often wondered about the slanted blue eyes and the meaning of ‘Sherpa’. Seems there’s a mutual fascination that Australians and New Zealanders have with the rooftop of the world, Nepal

Posted by roomstogrow | September 17, 2011, 8:12 am
    • I was living in the Sydney area when I went to Nepal – you are so lucky to be so close! Are you hoping to go? The Nepalese people are amazing – I still remember waking up from my first night in the mountains to hear the ladies singing while they worked – what a way to start the day!

Posted by Anita Mac | September 17, 2011, 8:22 am
  5. What incredible pictures from Nepal! I particularly like the one of the man in the rickshaw – he has so much expression on his face and the detail on the rickshaw is beautiful.

My husband and I will soon be embarking on a sabbatical through Asia, and though we’d love to make it to Nepal and Tibet, I just don’t think that the Nov-Feb. timeframe would be the most friendly, weather-wise.

Thank you for the inspiration I’ve needed to get the backpacks packed!

Posted by Tricia A. Mitchell | October 17, 2011, 11:56 pm
    • Thank you. Happy trails through Asia – what an amazing place. You could be right about Nepal November – Feb. It can get chilly with risks of snow closures on the Annapurna Circuit – mind you – I am sure there is a special beauty at that time of year!

Posted by Anita Mac | July 9, 2012, 5:07 pm
  6. Very cool – have always dreamed of going to Nepal. Would be on my bucket list if I had one! Better get one I guess.

Posted by Smith | July 9, 2012, 8:10 am
  7. AWESOME.. i’ll be going to Nepal from 2013-1015.. this only adds to my excitement.. thanks for posting

Posted by rfljenksy | August 6, 2012, 7:35 pm
  8. Nepal is undoubtedly one of the most intereting countries to visit in the world. It deserves much more than few days or weeks ; it deserves years. Unfortunately immmigration officers are not willing to let westerners visit their country for so long.

Posted by travelerreport | December 21, 2012, 8:22 am
    • I couldn’t agree more…I am hoping to come back some time soon. This was my first exposure to Nepal…it was easy to fall in love. I wished back then that I had had more time…hopefully I do better on my next visit! I would love to spend a month exploring Kathmandu and the surrounding areas, let alone trekking. Would be so great.

Posted by Anita Mac | December 21, 2012, 12:03 pm
  9. Love the gorgeous photos!

Posted by Vanessa | March 29, 2013, 3:56 pm
  10. Yes, this is definitely on my list!! :)

Posted by The World Wanderer (@TheWrldWanderer) | April 22, 2013, 4:48 pm

1. Pingback: HAVE PASSPORT…MUST TRAVEL « traveldestinationbucketlist - September 1, 2011

2. Pingback: ABCs of Travel « traveldestinationbucketlist - September 21, 2011

3. Pingback: New boots « traveldestinationbucketlist - September 24, 2011

4. Pingback: Live the Photo: Isla del Sol, Bolivia | traveldestinationbucketlist - November 8, 2011

5. Pingback: Where I’ve been | traveldestinationbucketlist - December 3, 2011

6. Pingback: Destination: Adventure Holiday vs All Inclusive | traveldestinationbucketlist - March 10, 2012

7. Pingback: Photo Tribute to Mother Earth: Earth Day 2012 | traveldestinationbucketlist - April 23, 2012

8. Pingback: Travel By The Alphabet: E « Shutter bug - June 21, 2012

9. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Dreaming « Shutter bug - July 14, 2012

10. Pingback: Travel By The Alphabet: L « Shutter bug - July 17, 2012

11. Pingback: Travel By The Alphabet: N « Shutter bug - July 24, 2012

12. Pingback: Active Holidays – Getting your exercise on the Road | Travel Destination Bucket List - March 1, 2013

13. Pingback: Tips for walking the Camino de Santiago | Travel Destination Bucket List - March 8, 2013

14. Pingback: TDBL Roundup – April 2013 | Travel Destination Bucket List - April 30, 2013

15. Pingback: ATV Adventures on the Canadian Shield | Travel Destination Bucket List - June 18, 2013