Africa, Asia, Morocco, Patagonia….I dream of seeing them all. By bike, by bus and on foot. But, where to begin? Wanderlust is knocking…are you ready to answer the call?
To date, I have been to 20 countries, I have experienced many things – the thrill of flying into Lukla in the Everest region, being mugged and hit by a bus at the same time in Chile (not my best moment) or being invited into the homes of strangers as I biked solo across Canada. The challenges of travel and the joys of the journey still call. The question remains – go to somewhere new or return to my favourite places.
It has been over a decade since I first set foot in Australia – what was supposed to be an 11 month backpacking trip developed into a love of exploring new countries, cultures and experiences! The ubiquitous bucket list – what does yours look like? I can’t keep up with mine – there are so many places to go…not nearly enough vacation days to do it all!
So, the bucket list begins…..what defines yours? Is it location dependant or activity based? New destinations or returning to experience your favourite places? My book shelf looks like the Lonely Planet section of a bookstore – the pictures and content inspiring my dreams with well worn pages. With new technology, I have started to buy their books and chapters for my iPad, but there is nothing like the feel of a new book as you crack open that spine and explore a new country. The chills that run down your back, making your hairs stand on end as you get off the plane and step into the world you have been reading about. My bucket list, inspired by these books, and the stories of friends and family, is ever changing and growing. As I attempt to cross one destination off my list, I find new activities calling to me. I have travelled to Mallorca to cycle 4 times in the last 6 years – and each time I find another aspect of the island to inspire me.
Passport updated and ready to go – here is my bucket list:
- Italy – I wouldn’t even know where to start but everyone tells me I absolutely must go! Perhaps 2012 will be the year
- Africa – the wildlife of Kenya and Tanzania calls
- Morocco – the Atlas Mountains, Medina’s and the great imperial cities of Marrakesh and Fez
- Asia – backpack through Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia, just for starters
- Great Wall of China
- Australia – my dream has always been to cycle around Australia – Sydney to Sydney
- Patagonia – the wildlife and ruggedness of this famous archipelago
- Mallorca – a mecca for cyclists, and yet there is so much more
- Australia – countless areas to visit. I had the privilege of 7 years living north of Sydney – I always look forward to going back
- Nepal – one trek was definitely not enough
- Canada – will always be my home and native land
- Caribbean – a great escape from the daily grind (and sometimes winter!)